« FöregåendeFortsätt »
abusing it. For the Fashion of this World passetla away.
Say not thou, What is the Cause that the foriner Days were better than these? For thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this.
» Let us not envy one another.
• The Spirit that dwelleth in us lufteth to Envy; but Charity envieth not.
Let not thine Heart envy Sinners; but be thou in the Fear of the Lord all the Day long. For surely there is an End, and thine Expectation shall not be cut off.
. Be not thou afraid when one is made rich, when the Glory of his House is increased. For though while he lived, he blessed, his Soul ; yet when he dieth he shall carry nothing away ;
his Glory shall not descend after hiin.
s A sound Heart is the Life of the Flesh; but Envy the Rottenness of the Bones.
• Let your Conversation be without Covetoufness; and be content with such Things as ye have: For God hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
+ Take heed and beware of Covetousness. For a Man's Life conlisteth not in the Abundance of the Things which he poffesfeth.
u Thou shalt not covet any Thing which is thy Neighbour's.
Labour not to be rich; but having Food and Raiment, let us be therewith content: For they
i Cor. 7. 31.
o James P Prov, 23. 17, 18.
q Plal. 49. 4. 5. i Cor. 13. 4. i Prov. 14. 30
Š Heb. 13. 5. 16, 18, 17.
w Prov. 23. 4. 12. 1 u Exod. 20. 17
1 Tim. 6. 8, 9, 15. N
that will be rich fall into Temptation and a Snare, and into many foolish and hurtful Lusts, which drown Men in Destruction and Perdition.
* The Love of Money is the Root of all Evil; which, while some have coveted after, they have erred from the Faith, and pierced themselves through with many Sorrows. But thou, O Man i of God, flee these Things..
y Lay not up for yourselves Treasures upon Earth, where Moth and Rust doth corrupt, and where Thieves break through and steal ; but lay up for yourselves Treasures in Heaven, where neither Moth nor Rust doth corrupt, and where Thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your Treasure is, there will your Heart be also.
z Rejoice not becaufe thy Wealth is because thine Hand hath gotten much. Will God esteem thy Riches? No, not Gold, nor all the Forces of Strength.
a Godliness with Contentment is great Gain. For we brought nothing into this World; and it is certain we can carry nothing out,
• A little that a righteous Man hath is better than the Riches of many wicked.
c Better is a little with the Fear of the Lord, than great Treasure and Trouble therewith.
d He that is greedy of Gain troubleth his own House.
c He that maketh hafte to be rich shall not be innocent.
1 Tim. 6. 94 * i Tim. 6. 10, 11. y Mat. 6. 19, 20, 21. a i Tim. 6. 6, 7.
Pfal. 2 Job 31. 25. Job 36. 19. c Prov. 15. 16. d Prov. 15. 27.
c Prov. 18. 206
An Inheritance may be gotten hastily at the Beginning; but the End thereof shall not be blefled.
& Wo to him that ladeth himself with thick Clay.
# Wo unto you that are rich ; for ye have received your Consolation.
No covetous Man, who is an Idolater, hath any Inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ. And how hard is it for them that trust in Riches to enter into the Kingdom of God?
* Wo unto them that join House to House, that lay Field to Field, till there be no Place; that they may be placed alone in the midst of the Earth.
I Wo to him that coveteth, that he may fet his Neft on high"; that he may be delivered from the Power of Evil.
a Cursed Children are they who have an Heart exercised with covetous Practices.
* Give me, O Lord, neither Poverty nor Riches; feed me with Food convenient for me ; left I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the Lord? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the Name of my God in vain.
SELF-DENIAL and MORTIFICATION.
• Thus faith our Saviour, if any Man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his Cross daily, and follow me.
f Prov. 29. 21. & Hab. 2. 6.
h Luke 6. 24. S.S. Mark 20. 24.
k Ira. 5. 8.
1 Hab. 2. 8. 2. 141 n Prov. 30, 8, 9.
i Luke g. 23.
m 2 Pet.
p He that taketh not his Cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
4 Whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath ; his Father, and Mother, and Wife, and Children, and Brethren, and Sisters; yea, and his own Life also, he cannot be my Disciple. .
If thy right Eye offend thee, pluck it out; or if thy right Hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee. For it is profitable for thee that one of thy Members should perish, and not that thy whole Body fhould be cast into Hell.
• Put off the old Man, with his Deeds; knowing this, that our old Man is crucified with Chrilt, that the Body of Sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not lerve Sin.
+ Make not Provision for the Flesh, to fulfi the Lufts thereof: For they that walk after the Flesh cannot please God, because the carnal Mind is Enmity with God. And if ye live after the Flesh ye shall die: But if ye, through the Spirit, Jo mortify the Deeds of the Body, ye shall live.
The Flesh lufteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the Flesh ; and these are contrary the one to the other, so that ye cannot do the Things that ye would. But they that are Christ's have crucified the Flesh, with the Affections and Lufts.
w Mortify therefore your Members which are upon the Earth: Keep under your Bodies, and bring them into Subjection. For though we
p Mat. 10. 38. 9 Luke 14. 33. 26, 33.
I Mat. 5. & Eph. 4. 22. Col. 3. 9. Rom. 6, 5. 29, 30.
Rom. Rom. 8. 8, 1, 8, 7, 13.
u Gal. 5. 17, 24. 13. 14. Col. 3. 5. 3 Cór. 9. 27. 2 Cor. JO. 3.
walk in the Fleth, we do not war after the Flesh: For the Weapons of our Warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God, to the pulling down of Strong-holds, casting down Imaginations and every high Thing that exalteth itself against the Knowledge of God.
* Be not conformed to this World ; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your Mind.
y No Man that warreth, entangleth himself with the Affairs of this Life, that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a Soldier. Thou therefore endure Hardness as a good Soldier of Jesus Christ.
z God forbid that I should glory, save in the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ ; by whom the World is crucified unto me, and I unto the World. Yea, doubtless, and I count all Things but Loss for the Excellency of the Knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord.
* In the last Days Men shall be Lovers of their own selves; Lovers of Pleasures more than Lovers of God; and shall' seek their own, not the Things of Jesus Christ. These are the Servants of Corruption; for of whom a Man is overcome, of the same is he brought in Bondage.
b He that liveth in Pleasure is dead while he liveth.
• A rich Man'shall hardly enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
d. To be carnally minded is Death ; but to be spiritually minded is Life and Peace.
2 Cor. 10. 3, 4, 5.
* Rom. 12. 2. y 2 Tim. 2. 4, 3. 2 Gal. 6. 14: Phil. 3. 8. a 2 Tim. 3: 1, 2, 4.
Phil. 2. 21. 2 Pet. 2. 19.
c Mat. 19. 23• Rom. 8. 6.