« FöregåendeFortsätt »
Catholicks, commanded all the Catholick Pre- Chap. 3.
5. Pope Anaftafius the Second, who fucceeded Gelafius, exhorts the Emperor Anaftafius, that (16) in me, the See of S. Peter, as it always bas, may have THE SUPREMACY, which God has affign'd it in the universal Church.
6. Pope Symmachus fucceeded Anaftafius the Second. And the Oriental Catholicks, writing to him, an. 513, fay: (17) You know the Charity of Chrift, who are daily taught, by your holy Doctor S. Peter, to feed not by Force, but Q3 volun
(15) Scribam & ego Fratribus meis, ut veniant Coepifcopi mei. & præcipue Ecclefia Romana, que Caput eft omnium Ecclefiarum. Victor Vitenfis. De Perfecutione Vandal. Divione an. 1665. p. 29. (16) Ut per minifterium bumilitatis meæ, ficut femper eft, Sedes B. Petri in univerfali Ecclefia affignatum fibi a Domino Deo teneat Principatum, Epift. 1. T. 4. Conc. p.1278 CD. (17) Non enim ignoras ejus ingenium, qui quoti die a facro Dottore tuo Petro doceris oves Chrifti per totum habitabilem mundum creditas tibi pafcere, non vi, fed Sponte coaltas: qui cum do&iffimo Paulo clamas nobis Subditis, & dicis, non enim dominamur vobis in fide, fed cooperamur in gaudio. T. 4. Conc. p. 1305. A. Vide etiam p. 1310, B.
Chap. 3. voluntarily, the Sheep of Christ intrufted to you Queft13 OVER THE WHOLE HABITABLE WORLD: and who with the great Doctor S. Paul fay to us YOUR SUBJECTS, For we do not command your Faith, but co-operate with Joy, 2 Car, 1. v. 24.
7. Pope Symmachus was fucceeded by Hormifdas: who in the Form of Reconciliation, which he fent to Conftantinople, for Schifmaticks adhering to the Memory of Acacius, oblig'd them to fay, that (18) they follow'd IN ALL THINGS the See Apoftolick, that is, the See of Rome, and maintain'd all its Decrees, And to promise, that hereafter they would not mention thofe at the Altar, who were feparated from the Communion of the CATHOLICK CHURCH, that is, who did not agree with the SEE APOSTOLICK.
S. Avitus, Bishop of Vienne, writing to Hormifdas, an. 517, fays, that (19) all the Members of the WHOLE CATHOLICK CHURCH are intrusted to his Care.
And a Synod of the ancient Epirus, writing to the fame Pope, calls him (20) the Father of Fathers, and the CHIEF OF BISHOPS: As the Abbots, and Monks of the fecond Syria, call him
(18) Sequentes in omnibus Apoftolicam Sedem, & prædicantes ejus omnia Conftituta promittens in fequenti tempore fequeftratos a Communione Ecclefiæ Catholice, id est, non confentientes Sedi Apoftolicæ, eorum nomina inter facra non recitanda effe Mysteria, T. 4. Conc. p. 1502. CD. & p. 1487. CD. (19) Dum Religionis statui,& plenis Catholica fidei regulis perfpicitis convenire, ut gre gem per tota vobis univerfalis Ecclefiæ membra commiffum pervigil cura veftrae adhortationis informet. Ibid. pag. 1445. B. (20) Patri Patrum,ac Principi Epifcoforum, Įbid. p. 1440. D:
him (21) the Patriarch over THE WHOLE Chap. 3. EARTH. Hence they humbly beg, that (22) Queft13 being THE HEAD OF ALL, he would exert his Zeal against the Eutychian Herefy, and revenge the Contempt of Faith, the Injury done to the Canons, and to the great Council of Calcedon.
8. Stephen the Metropolitan of Lariffa in Theffalia, which is a Part of Illyricum, in a Petition to Pope Boniface the Second,acquaints him, that being unjustly treated by Epiphanius Bishop of Conftantinople, he had appeal'd to Rome, and had told Epiphanius, that (23) the Authority of the See Apoftolick, which our B. Saviour gave to the Chief of his Apostles, exceeds ALL THE PRIVILEGES of the Holy Sees. This Petition was prefented to Pope Boniface the Second in a Synod at Rome an. 531, by Theodofius a Theffalian Bishop: Who tells the Pope in the fame Synod, that (24) tho' the Bishops of Rome have a SUPREMACY OF THE CHURCH THROUGH THE WHOLE WORLD, and tho' Ecclefiaftical Caufes are neceffarily brought from all Parts to THIS SEE ALONE: yet it has a special Jurifdiction over the Bishops of Illyricum.
(21) Univerfa orbis terræ Patriarche Hormilda. p. 1461. B. (22) Nam Caput eftis omnium. p. 1462. A B. Vide etiam pag. 1548. CD. (23) Autoritas Sedis Apostolica, que a Deo & Salvatore nostro Summo Apoftolorum data eft, omnibus fan&tarum Ecclefiarum privilegiis antecellit. Ibid. p. 1696. E. (24) Nam conftat venerandos Sedis veftræ Pontifices, quamvis in toto mundo Sedes Apoftolica Ecclefiarum fibi jure vindicet principatum, folam Ecclefiafticis Caufis undiq; appellare neceffe fit; fpecialiter tamen gubernationi fuæ Illyrici Ecclefias vindicaffe. P, 1699. BC,
Chap. 3. 9. Boniface the Second was fucceeded by
10. Pope Pelagius the Second, writing to the Schifmatical Bishops of Iftria, alledges against them thefe Words of S. (27) Cyprian, the Primacy, or Supremacy, is given to S. Peter, that the Church of Christ, as well as the See, may be fhew'd to be one. Does be believe, he has Faith, who holds not this Unity of the Church? Does he think himself in the Church; who forfakes and refifts the SEE OF S. PETER, upon which See the Church is founded ?
(25) Ut innotefcat veftræ fandtitati, quæ Caput eft om
Betwixt John the Second and Pelagius the Chap. 3. Second, there were fix Popes. One of these Queft13 was Silverius, who by the Power of the wicked Empress Theodora, was banish'd to Patara, a City of Lycia. (28) When the Pope came to Patara, the venerable Bishop of that City went to the Emperor Juftinian, and defir'd God to judge of the Expulfion of fo great a Prelate: Saying, there are many Kings in this World, but not one like him in Banishment, who is Pope OVER THE CHURCH OF THE WHOLE WORLD; fays Liberatus a Deacon of Carthage, who writ at the fame Time, in his Abridgment of the Neftorian and Eutychian Herefy.
11. Pope Pelagius the Second had for his Succeffor, S. Gregory the First, call'd the Great, and the Apostle of England. He fat in S. Peter's Chair 13 Years, 6 Months, and 10 Days, from the Year of Chrift 590 to 604 and was the first, who affum'd the humble Title of Servus Servorum Dei, Servant of the Servants of God. (29) The more evident it is, fays he, that the See Apoftolick has from God a Preeminence OVER ALL OTHER SEES; the more follicitous I am, among ft many other Cares, when my Confent
(28) Sed Silverio veniente Pataram, venerabilis Epifcopus Civitatis ipfius venit ad Imperatorem, & Judicium Dei conteftatus eft de tante Sedis Epifcopi expulfione ; multos effe dicens in hoc mundo Reges, & non effe unum, ficut ille Papa eft fuper Ecclefiam mundi totius, a fua Sede expulfus, inquit Liber. in Breviar, Cap. xxii. T. 5. Conc. p. 775. E. (29) Quanto Apostolica Sedes, Deo Aullore, cunctis prælata constat Ecclefiis: tanto inter multiplices curas illa nos valde folicitat, ubi ad confecrandum An tiftitem noftrum expe&tatur Arbitrium. L. 2. Epift. 30. ad Joan. Subdiaconum. Tom. 5. Conc. p. 1114 E.