« FöregåendeFortsätt »
father could not build a house unto the name || and three hundred, which ruled over the of the Lord his God, for the wars which people that wrought in the work. were about him on every side, until the LORD 17. And the king commanded, and they put them under the soles of his feet. | brought great stones,costly stones, and hewed
4. But now the Lord my God hath given stones, to lay the foundation of the house. me rest on every side, so that there is neither | 18. And Solomon's builders and Hiram's adversary nor evil occurrent.
builders did hew them, and the stone-squar5. And, behold, I purpose to build a house | ers : so they prepared timber and stones to unto the name of the Lord my God, as the build the house. Lord spake unto David my father, saying,
CHAP. VI. Thy son whom I will set upon thy throne
The building of Solomon's temple. in thy room, he shall build a house unto 1. AND it came to pass, in the four hunmy name.
A dred and eightieth year after the 6. Now therefore command thou, that children of Israel were come out of the they hew me cedar-trees out of Lebanon ; | land of Egypt, in the fourth year of Soloand my servants shall be with thy servants: mon's reign over Israel, in the month Zif, and unto thee will I give hire for thy ser- | which is the second month, that he began vants, according to all that thou shalt ap-| to build the house of the Lord. point: for thou knowest that there is not 1 2. And the house which king Solomon among us any that can skill to hew timber | built for the Lord, the length thereof was like unto the Sidonians.
threescore cubits, and the breadth thereof 7. And it came to pass, when Hiram twenty cubits, and the height thereof thirty heard the words of Solomon, that he rejoiced cubits. greatly, and said, Blessed be the LORD this! 3. And the porch before the temple of the day, which hath given unto David a wise house, twenty cubits was the length thereof, son over this great people.
according to the breadth of the house; and 8. And Hiram sent to Solomon, saying, ten cubits was the breadth thereof before I have considered the things which thou il the house. sentest to me for: and I will do all thy 4. And for the house he made windows desire concerning timber of cedar, and con- of narrow lights. cerning tunber of fir.
5. And against the wall of the house he 9. My servants shall bring them down built chambers round about, against the from Lebanon unto the sea; and I will con- walls of the house round about, both of the vey them by sea in floats unto the place that temple and of the oracle: and he made thou shalt appoint me, and will cause them || chambers round about. . to be discharged there, and thou shalt re-. 6. The nethermost chamber was five cubits ceive them : and thou shalt accomplish my broad, and the middle was six cubits broad, desire in giving food for my household. and the third was seven cubits broad: for with
10. So Hiram gave Solomon cedar-trees, out in the wall of the house he made narrowed and fir-trees, according to all his desire. rests round about, that the beams should not
11. And Solomon gave Hiram twenty | be fastened in the walls of the house. thousand measures of wheat for food to his l 7. And the house, when it was in buildhousehold, and twenty measures of pure oil: ing, was built of stone made ready before it thus gave Solomon to Hiram year by year. I was brought thither: so that there was nej
12. And the Lord gave Solomon wisdom, ther hammer, nor axe, nor any tool of iron, as he promised him; and there was peace || heard in the house while it was in building. between Hiram and Solomon; and they two | 8. The door for the middle chamber was made a league together.
in the right side of the house: and they went 13. And king Solomon raised a levy out up with winding stairs into the middle chamof all Israel; and the levy was thirty thou-ber, and out of the middle into the third. sand men.
9. So he built the house, and finished it; 14. And he sent them to Lebanon, ten and covered the house with beams and thousand a month by courses; a month they || boards of cedar. were in Lebanon, and two months at home: | | 10. And then he built chambers against and Adoniram was over the levy.
| all the house, five cubits high: and they 15. And Solomon had threescore and ten | rested on the house with timber of cedar. thousand that bare burdens, and fourscore 11. 1 And the word of the LORD came thousand hewers in the mountains :
to Solomon, saying, · 16. Besides the chief of Solomon's officers 12. Concerning this house which thou art which were over the work, three thousand Il in building, if thou wilt walk in my statutes, and execute my judgments, and keep all my l 29. And he carved all the walls of the commandments to walk in them; then will house round about with carved figures of I perform my word with thee, which I spake cherubims and palm-trees and open flowers, unto David thy father:
within and without. 13. And I will dwellamong the children of 30. And the floor of the house he overlaid Israel, and will not forsake my people Israel. with gold, within and without. .
14. So Solomon built the house, and | 31. And for the entering of the oracle he finished it.
made doors of olive-tree: the lintel and side15. And he built the walls of the house with-posts were a fifth part of the wall. in with boards of cedar, both the floor of the | 32. The two doors also were of olivehouse and the walls of the ceiling: and he co-tree; and he carved upon them carvings of vered themon the inside with wood,and cover- cherubims and palm-trees and open flowers, cd the floor of the house with planks of fir. and overlaid thein with gold, and spread gold
16. And he built twenty cubits on the sides upon the cherubims and upon the palm-trees. of the house, both the floor and the walls, ll 33. So also made he for the door of the with boards of cedar: he even built them temple, posts of olive-tree, a fourth part of for it within, even for the oracle, even for the the wall. most holy place.
34. And the two doors were of fir-tree: the 17. And the house, that is, the temple two leaves of the one door were solding, and before it, was forty cubits long.
the two leaves of the other door were folding. 18. And the cedar of the house within was 35. And he carved thereon cherubims and carved with knops and open flowers : all palmtrees and open flowers; and covered was cedar; there was no stone seen
them with gold fitted upon the carved work. 19. And the oracle he prepared in the 36. And he built the inner court with house within, to set there the ark of the three rows of hewed stone, and a row of covenant of the LORD.
| 37. In the fourth year was the foundation twenty cubits in length, and twenty cubits of the house of the LORD laid, in the month in breadth, and twenty cubits in the height Zif: thereof: and he overlaid it with pure gold; | 38. And in the eleventh year, in the and so covered the altar which was of cedar. month Bul, (which is the eighth month,) was
21. So Solomon overlaid the house within the house finished throughout all the parts with pure gold: and he made a partition by thereof, and according to all the fashion of it. the chains of gold before the oracle; and So was he seven years in building it. . he overlaid it with gold.
CHAP. VII. 22. And the whole house he overlaid with 1 The building of Solomon's house, 2 of the house of Lebanon. gold, until he had finished all the house: also 1. DUT Solomon was building his own the whole altar that was by the oracle he D house thirteen years, and he finished overlaid with gold.
| all his house. 23. And within the oracle he made two 2. He built also the house of the forest cherubims of olive-tree, each ten cubits high. of Lebanon; the length thereof was a hun
24. And five cubits was the one wing of dred cubits, and the breadth thereof osty the cherub, and five cubits the other wing of cubits, and the height thereof thirty cubits, the cherub: from the uttermost part of the upon four rows of cedar pillars, with cedar one wing unto the uttermost part of the beams upon the pillars. other were ten cubits.
1 3. And it was covered with cedar above 25. And the other cherub was ten cubits: | upon the beams, that lay on forty-five pilboth the cherubims were of one measure and lars, fifteen in a row. one size.
4. And there were windows in three rows, 26. The height of the one cherub was ten and light was against light in three ranks. cubits, and so was it of the other cherub. 5. And all the doors and post
27. And he set the cherubims within the square, with the windows: and light wus inner house: and they stretched forth the against light in three ranks. wings of the cherubims, so that the wing of 6. And he made a porch of pillars; the the one touched the one wall, and the wing length thereof was fifty cubits, and the of the other cherub touched the other wall; breadth thereof thirty cubits: and the porch and their wings touched one another in the was before them; and the other pillars and midst of the house.
the thick beam were before them. 28. And he overlaid the cherubims with 7. Then he made a porch for the throne gold.
Il where he might judge, even the porch of
judgment: and it was covered with cedar 22. And upon the top of the pillars was from one side of the floor to the other. | lily-work: so was the work of the pillars
8. And his house where he dwelt had | finished. another court within the porch, which was . 23. And he made a molten sea, ten cubits of the like work. Solomon made also a from the one brim to the other: it was round house for Pharaoh's daughter, whom he had all about, and his height was five cubits; and a taken to wife, like unto this porch.
line of thirty cubitsdid compassit roundabout. 9. All these were of costly stones, (ac 24. And under the brim of it round about cording to the measures of hewed stones, there were knops compassing it, ten in a cubit, sawed with saws,) within and without, even compassing the sea round about: the knops from the foundation unto the coping, and so i were cast in two rows, when it was cast. on the outside toward the great court.
25. It stood upon twelve oxen, three look10. And the foundation was of costly ing toward the north, and three looking tostones, even great stones; stones of ten | ward the west, and three looking toward the cubits, and stones of eight cubits.
south, and three looking toward the east : * 11. And above were costly stones, (after and the sea was set above upon them, and the measures of hewed stones,) and cedars. all their hinder parts were inward.
12. And the great court round about was 26. And it was a hand-breadth thick, and with three rows of hewed stones, and a row the brim thereof was wrought like the brim of cedar beams, both for the inner court of | os a cup, with flowers of lilies : it contained the house of the LORD, and for the porch two thousand baths. of the house.
27. And he made ten bases of brass : four 13. | And king Solomon sent, and fetched cubits was the length of one base, and sour Hiram out of Tyre.
cubits the breadth thereof, and three cubits 14. He was a widow's son of the tribe of the height of it. Naphtali, and his father was a man of Tyre, 28. And the work of the bases was on a worker in brass: and he was filled with this manner: they had borders, and the borwisdom and understanding, and cunning to ders were between the ledges: . work all works in brass. And he came to | 29. And on the borders that were between king Solomon, and wrought all his work. the ledges were lions, oxen, and cherubims:
15. For he cast two pillars of brass, of and upon the ledges there was a base above : eighteen cubits high apiece; and a line of and beneath the lions and oxen were certain twelve cubits did coinpass either of them additions made of thin work. about.
30. And every base had four brazen 16. And he made two chapiters of molten wheels, and plates of brass; and the four brass, to set upon the tops of the pillars: the corners thereof had undersetters: under the height of the one chapiter was five cubits, and laver were undersetters molten, at the side the height of the other chapiter was five cubits: | of every addition
17. And nets of chequer-work, and wreaths | 31. And the mouth of it, within the chapiof chain-work, for the chapiters which were ter and above, was a cubit: but the mouth upon the top of the pillars ; seven for the one thereof was round, after the work of the chapiter, and seven for the other chapiter. base, a cubit and a half; and also upon the
18. And he made the pillars, and two mouth of it were gravings with their borders, rows round about upon the one net-work, foursquare, not round. to cover the chapiters that were upon the | 32. And under the borders were four top, with pomegranates: and so did he for wheels; and the axle-trees of the wheels the other chapiter.
were joined to the base, and the height of a 19. And the chapiters that were upon the wheel wus a cubit and half a cubit. top of the pillars were of lily-work in the l 33. And the work of the wheels was like porch, four cubits.
the work of a chariot-wheel ; their axle-trees, 20. And the chapiters upon the two pillars and their naves, and their felloes, and their had pomegranates also above, over against spokes, were all molten. the belly which was by the net-worki and 34. And there were four undersetters to the pomegranates were two hundred, in the four corners of one base: and the underrows round about upon the other chapiter. | setters were of the very base itself.
21. And he set up the pillars in the porch | 35. And in the top of the base was there of the temple: and he set up the right pillar, a round compass of half a cubit high: and and called the name thereof Jachin; and he on the top of the base, the ledges thereof, and set up the left pillar, and called the name the borders thereof, were of the same. thereof Boaz.
W 36. For on the plates of the ledges thereof, and on the borders thereof, he graved che- || silver, and the gold, and the vessels, did rubims, lions, and palm-trees, according to be put among the treasures of the house the proportion of every one, and additions of the LORD. round about.
CHAP. VIII. 37. After this manner he made the ten || 1 The feast of the dedication of the temple. 22 Solomon's bases: all of them had one casting, one
prayer. measure, and one size.
1. THEN Solomon assembled the elders 38. Then made he ten' lavers of brass : 1 of Israel, and all the heads of the one laver contained forty baths; and every tribes, the chief of the fathers of the children laver was four cubits: and upon every one of Israel, unto king Solomon in Jerusalem, of the ten bases one laver.
that they might bring up the ark of the cove39. And he put five bases on the right side pant of the Lord out of the city of David, of the house, and five on the left side of the which is Zion. house; and he set the sea on the right side of 2. And all the men of Israel assembled the house eastward, over against the south. | themselves unto king Solomon at the feast,
40. And Hiram made the lavers, and the in the month Ethanim, wbich is the seventh shovels, and the basons. So Hiram made month. an end of doing all the work that he made 3. And all the elders of Israel came, and king Solomon for the house of the Lord; the priests took up the ark.
41. The two pillars, and the two bowls 4. And they brought up the ark of the of the chapiters that were on the top of the || Lord, and the tabernacle of the congregatwo pillars; and the two net-works, to cover tion, and all the holy vessels that were in the two bowls of the chapiters which were the tabernacle, even those did the priests upon the top of the pillars;
and the Levites bring up. 42. And four hundred pomegranates for the || 5. And king Solomon, and all the congretwo net-works, even two rows of pomegra- gation of Israel, that were assembled unto nates for one net-work, to cover the two bowls him, were with him before the ark, sacriof the chapiters that were upon the pillars; ficing sheep and oxen, that could not be told
43. And the ten bases, and ten lavers on nor numbered for multitude. the bases;
6. And the priests brought in the ark of 44. And one sea, and twelve oxen under the covenant of the Lord unto his place, the sea;
into the oracle of the house, to the most holy 45. And the pots, and the shovels, and place, eren under the wings of the cherubims. the basons: and all these vessels, which 7. For the cherubims spread forth their Hiram made to king Solomon for the house two wings over the place of the ark, and the of the LORD, were of bright brass.
cherubims covered the ark, and the staves 46. In the plain of Jordan did the king thereof, above. cast them, in the clay ground between Suc- . And they drew out the staves, that the coth and Zarthan.
ends of the staves were seen out in the holy 47. And Solomon left all the vessels un- place before the oracle,and theywere not seen weighed, because they were exceeding many: without: and there they are unto this day. neither was the weight of the brass found out. 9. There was nothing in the ark, save the
48. And Solomon made all the vessels two tables of stone, which Moses put there that pertained unto the house of the Lord: at Horeb, when the Lord made a covenant the altar of gold, and the table of gold, with the chždren of Israel, when they came whereupon the show-bread was,
out of the land of Egypt. 49. And the candlesticks of pure gold, I 10. 1 And it came to pass, when the five on the right side, and five on the left, priests were come out of the holy place, that before the oracle, with the flowers, and the the cloud filled the house of the LORD, lamps, and the tongs, of gold;
l 11. So that the priests could not stand to 50. And the bowls, and the snuffers, and minister because of the cloud: for the glory the basons, and the spoons, and the censers, of the Lord had filled the house of the LORD. of pure gold; and the hinges of gold, both for 12. Then spake Solomon, The LORD said the doors of the inner house, the most holy that he would dwell in the thick darkness. place, and for the doors of the house, to wit, 13. I have surely built thee a house to of the temple.
dwell in, a settled place for thee to abide in 51. So was ended all the work that king for ever. Solomon made for the house of the Lord. 14. And the king turned his face about, And Solomon brought in the things which and blessed all the congregation of Israel : David his father had dedicated; even the land all the congregation of Israel stood:)
15. And he said, Blessed be the LORD || to the prayer which thy servant prayeth God of Israel, which spake with his mouth || before thee to-day: unto David my father, and hath with his 29. That thine eyes may be open toward hand fulfilled it, saying,
this house night and day, even toward the 16. Since the day that I brought forth my place of which thou hast said, My name people Israel out of Egypt, I chose no city shall be there; that thou mayest hearken out of all the tribes of Israel to build a house, unto the prayer which thy servant shall make that my name might be therein; but I chose toward this place. David to be over my people Israel.
30. And hearken thou to the supplication 17. And it was in the heart of David my | of thy servant, and of thy people Israel, father to build a house for the name of the when they shall pray toward this place;
and hear thou in heaven thy dwelling-place: 18. And the LORD said unto David my |and when thou hearest, forgive. father, Whereas it was in thine heart to | 31. If any man trespass against his neighbuild a house unto my name thou didst well || bour, and an oath be laid upon him to cause that it was in thine heart:
him to swear, and the oath come before 19. Nevertheless thou shalt not build the thine altar in this house: house; but thy son, that shall come forth || 32. Then hear thou in heaven, and do, out of thy Joins, he shall build the house and judge thy servants, condemning the unto my name.
wicked, to bring his way upon his head; 20. And the LORD hath performed his and justifying the righteous, to give him acword that he spake; and I am risen up in || cording to his righteousness. the room of David my father, and sit on the throne of Israel, as the LORD promised, and down before the enemy, because they have have built a house for the name of the LORD sinned against thee, and shall turn again to God of Israel.
| thee, and confess thy name, and pray, and 21. And I have set there a place for the make supplication unto thee in this house: ark, wherein is the covenant of the LORD, | 34. Then hear thou in heaven, and forgive which he made with our fathers, when he || the sin of thy people Israel, and bring them brought them out of the land of Egypt. again unto the land which thou gavest unto
22. And Solomon stood before the altar || their fathers. of the LORD, in the presence of all the con 35. When heaven is shut up, and there is gregation of Israel, and spread forth his | no rain, because they have sinned against hands toward heaven :
thee; if they pray toward this place, and 23. And he said, LORD God of Israel, | | confess thy name, and turn from their sin, there is no god like thee, in heaven above, or when thou afflictest them: on earth beneath, who keepest covenant and | 36. Then hear thou in heaven, and forgive mercy with thy servants that walk before the sin of thy servants, and of thy people Isthee with all their heart;
rael, that thou teach them the good way 24. Who hast kept with thy servant David | wherein they should walk, and give rain my father that thou promisedst him: thou | upon thy land which thou hast given to thy spakest also with thy mouth, and hast ful- | people for an inheritance. filled it with thine hand, as it is this day. 37. If there be in the land famine, if there
25. Therefore now, LORD God of Israel, be pestilence, blasting, mildew, locust, or if keep with thy servant David my father that there be caterpillar; if their enemy besiege thou promisedst him, saying, There shall not them in the land of their cities, whatsoever fail thee a man in my sight to sit on the plague, whatsoever sickness, there be ; throne of Israel; so that thy children take 38. What prayer and supplication soever heed to their way, that they walk before be made by any man, or by all thy people Isme, as thou hast walked before me. rael, which shall know every man the plague
26. And now, O God of Israel, let thy of his own heart, and spread forth his hands word, I pray thee, be verified, which thou | toward this house: spakest unto thy servant David my father. 39. Then hear thou in heaven thy dwelling.'
27. But will God indeed dwell on the place, and forgive, and do, and give to every: earth? Behold, the heaven, and heaven of man according to his ways, whose heart thou heavens, cannot contain thee; how much knowest ; (for thou, even thou only, knowest less this house that I have builded ! the hearts of all the children of men ;)
28. Yet have thou respect unto the prayer 40. That they may fear thee all the days of thy servant, and to his supplication, that they live in the land which thou gavest LORD my God, to hearken unto the cry and I unto our fathers.
keep with the cost him, saying t to sit on take