« FöregåendeFortsätt »
father is sick: and he took with him his named on them, and the name of my fatwo sons, Manasseh and Ephraim.
thers Abraham and Isaac; and let them 2. And one told Jacob, and said, Behold, I grow into a multitude in the midst of the thy son Joseph cometh unto thee: and Israel earth. strengthened himself, and sat upon the bed. |17. And when Joseph saw that his father
3. And Jacob said unto Joseph, God Al- laid his right hand upon the head of Ephmighty appeared unto me at Luz in the raim, it displeased him: and he held up his land of Canaan, and blessed me,
father's hand, to remove it from Ephraim's 4. And said unto me, Behold, I will make head unto Manasseh's head. thee fruitful, and multiply thee, and I will 18. And Joseph said unto his father, Not make of thee a multitude of people; and will so, my father: for this is the first-born ; put give this land to thy seed after thee, for an thy right hand upon his head. everlasting possession.
19. And his father refused, and said, I · 5. And now thy two sons, Ephraim and | know it, my son, I know it: he also shall Manasseh, which were born unto thee in become a people, and he also shall be the land of Egypt, before I came unto thee great; but truly his younger brother shall be into Egypt, are mine: as Reuben and Si- greater than he, and his seed shall become meon, they shall be mine.
la multitude of nations. 6. And thy issue, which thou begettest || 20. And he blessed them that day, sayafter them, shall be thine,and shall be called | ing, In thee shall Israel bless, saying, God after the name of their brethren in their in- make thee as Ephraim, and as Manasseh. heritance.
And he set Ephraim before Manasseh. 7. And as for me, when I came from Pa- |21. And Israel said unto Joseph, Behold, dan, Rachel died by me in the land of I die; but God shall be with you, and bring Canaan, in the way, when yet there was you again unto the land of your fathers. but a little way to come unto Ephrath: and 22. Moreover, I have given to thee one I buried her there in the way of Ephrath; || portion above thy brethren, which I took out the same is Beth-lehem.
of the hand of the Amorite with my sword 8.1 And Israel beheld Joseph's sons, and and with my bow. said, Who are these?
CHAP. XLIX. 9. And Joseph said unto his father, They || 1 Jacob calleth his sons to bless them: 3 Their blessings
| in particular : 29 He chargeth them about his burial : are my sons, whom God hath given me in 33 He dieth. this place. And he said, Bring them, I pray 1. AND Jacob called unto his sons, and thee, unto me, and I will bless them,
A said, Gather yourselves together, that 10. Now the eyes of Israel were dim for I may tell you that which shall befall you age, so that he could not see. And he brought in the last days. them near unto him; and he kissed them, 2. Gather yourselves together, and hear, and embraced them.
| ye sons of Jacob; and hearken unto Israel 11. And Israel said unto Joseph, I had your father. not thought to see thy face; and, lo, God 3. | Reuben, thou art my first-born, my hath showed me also thy seed.
might, and the beginning of my strength, the 12. And Joseph brought them out from excellency of dignity, and the excellency between his knees, and he bowed himself of power. with his face to the earth..
4. Unstable as water, thou shalt not excel;? 13. And Joseph took them both, Ephraim || because thou wentest up to thy father's bed, in his right hand toward Israel's left hand, then defiledst thou it: he went up to my couch. and Manasseh in his left hand toward Is- | 5. 1 Simeon and Levi are brethren; instrurael's right hand, and brought them nearments of cruelty are in their habitations. unto him.
6. O my soul, come not thou into their se14. And Israel stretched out his right | cret ; unto their assembly, mine honour, be hand, and laid it upon Ephraim's head, who | not thou united: for in their anger they was the younger, and his left hand upon || slew a man, and in their self-will they dig. i Manasseh's head, guiding his hands wit-| ged down a wall. tingly; for Manasseh was the first-born. 7. Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce;
15. And he blessed Joseph, and said, and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will diGod, before whom my fathers Abraham and || vide them in Jacob, and scatterthem in Israel, Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all 8. 1 Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren my life long unto this day,
shall praise ; thy hand shall be in the neck of 16. The angel which redeemed me from thine enemies : thy father's children shall all evil, bless the lads; and let my name be | bow down before thee.
serpent by the way, I
his bones : 26 He dieth.
9. Judah is a lion's whelp; from the prey, || rael: and this is it that their father spake my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, unto them, and blessed them; every one he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; according to his blessing he blessed them. who shall rouse him up ? :
| 29. And he charged them, and said unto : 10. The sceptre shall not depart from them, I am to be gathered unto my people: Judah, nor a law-giver from between his bury me with my fathers in the cave that is feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall in the field of Ephron the Hittite; the gathering of the people be:
| 30. In the cave that is in the field of 11. Binding his foal unto the vine, and Machpelah, which is before Mamre, in the his ass's colt unto the choice vine ; he wash land of Canaan, which Abraham bought ed his garments in wine, and his clothes in with the field of Ephron the Hittite for a the blood of grapes :
possession of a burying-place. 12. His eyes shall be red with wine, and 31. There they buried Abraham and Sa- . his teeth white with milk.
rah his wife; there they buried Isaac and 13. 9 Zebulun shall dwell at the haven of Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah. the sea; and he shall be for an haven of | 32. The purchase of the field, and of the ships: and his border shall be unto Zidon. cave that is therein, was from the children
14. Issachar is a strong ass, couching of Heth. down between two burdens:
33. And when Jacob had made an end 15. And he saw that rest was good, and of commanding his sons, he gathered up his the land that it was pleasant; and bowed feet into the bed, and yielded up the ghost, his shoulder to bear, and became a servant and was gathered unto his people. unto tribute
CHAP. L. 16. f Dan shall judge his people, as one || 1 The mourning for Jacob : 4 Joseph getteth leave of Phaof the tribes of Israel.
raoh to go to bury him : 24 He prophesieth unto his bre.
thren of their return : 25 He taketh an oath of them for 17. Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse- || 1. AND Joseph fell upon his father's face, heels, so that his rider shall fall backward. | A and wept upon him, and kissed him. 18. I have waited for thy salvation,
0 2. And Joseph commanded his servants LORD!
the physicians to embalm his father : and 19. I Gad, a troop shall overcome him: the physicians embalmed Israel. but he shall overcome at the last.
3. And forty days were fulfilled for him; 20. Out of Asher his bread shall be fat, | (for so are fullilled the days of those which and he shall yield royal dainties.
are embalmed;) and the Egyptians mourned 21. I Naphtali is a hind let loose: he for him threescore and ten days. giveth goodly words.
4. And when the days of his mourning 22. Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a were past, Joseph spake unto the house fruitful bough by a well, whose branches || of Pharaoh, saying, If now I have found run over the wall.
Il grace in your eyes, speak, I pray you, in 23. The archers have sorely grieved him, | the ears of Pharaoh, saying, and shot at him, and hated him :
15. My father made me swear, saying, 24. But his bow abode in strength, and Lo, I die: in my grave which I have digged the arms of his hands were made strong by | for me in the land of Canaan, there shalt the hands of the mighty God of Jacob ; (from thou bury me. Now, therefore, let me go up, thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel:) || I pray thee, and bury my father, and I will
25. Even by the God of thy father, who come again. shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who || 6. And Pharaoh said, Go up and bury thy shall bless thee with blessings of heaven father, according as he made thee swear. above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, ! 7. And Joseph went up to bury his father: blessings of the breasts, and of the womb : | and with him went up all the servants of
26. The blessings of thy father have pre- Pharaoh, the elders of his house, and all vailed above the blessings of thy progenitors, the elders of the land of Egypt, unto the utmost bound of the everlasting IL 8. And all the house of Joseph, and his hills; they shall be on the head of Joseph, || brethren, and his father's house : only their and on the crown of the head of him that | little ones, and their flocks, and their herds, was separate from his brethren.
they left in the land of Goshen. , 27. f Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf; in 19. And there went up with him both the morning he shall deyour the prey, and || chariots and horsemen; and it was a very at night he shall divide the spoil.
great company. 28. All these are the twelve tribes of Is-1110. And they came to the threshing-floor
nd of the maigdes were madength, and Los my father oben gek
blessioblessings with bless Almighty, who comay thee, ar
of Atad, which is beyond Jordan; and there | trespass of the servants of the God of thy they mourned with a great and very sore | father. And Joseph wept when they spake lamentation : and he made a mourning for unto him. his father seven days.
18. And his brethren also went and fell 11. And when the inhabitants of the down before his face; and they said, Beland, the Canaanites, saw the mourning in hold, we be thy servants. the floor of Atad, they said, This is a griev-|| 19. And Joseph said unto them, Fear ous mourning to the Egyptians: wherefore not; for am I in the place of God? the name of it was called Abel-mizrainn, 20. But as for you, ye thought evil against which is beyond Jordan.
me; but God meant it unto good, to bring 12. And his sons did unto him according || to pass, as it is this day, to save much peoas he commanded them:
ple alive. 13. For his sons carried him into the land 21. Now, therefore, fear ye not: I will of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of nourish you, and your little ones. And he the field of Machpelah, which Abraham comforted them, and spake kindly unto them. bought with the field for a possession of a 22. | And Joseph dwelt in Egypt, he and burying-place, of Ephron the Hittite, before his father's house : and Joseph lived a hunMamre.
| dred and ten years. 14. And Joseph returned into Egypt, he, 23. And Joseph saw Ephraim's children and his brethren, and all that went up with of the third generation : the children also of him to bury his father, after he had buried Machir, the son of Manasseh, were brought his father.
up upon Joseph's knees. : 15. And when Joseph's brethren saw 24. And Joseph said unto his brethren, that their father was dead, they said, Jo- I die: and God will surely visit you, and seph will peradventure hate us, and will bring you out of this land unto the land certainly requite us all the evil which we which he sware to Abraham, to Isaac, and did unto him.
to Jacob. 16. And they sent a messenger unto Jo-| 25. And Joseph took an oath of th seph saying, Thy father did command be-dren of Israel, saying, God will surely visit fore he died, saying,
you, and ye shall carry up my bones from 17. So shall ye say unto Joseph, Forgive, hence. I pray thee now, the trespass of thy bre- 26. So Joseph died, being a hundred and thren, and their sin; for they did unto thee ten years old : and they embalmed him, and evil: and now, we pray thee, forgive the l he was put in a coffin in Egypt.
| The SECOND Book of Moses, called EXODUS.
ll 10. Come on, let us deal wisely with them; 92 Pharaoh commandeth the male children to be cast into | lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that. the river.
when there falleth out any war, they join 1. N OW these are the names of the | also unto our enemies, and fight against us,
children of Israel, which came into | and so get them up out of the land. Egypt; every man and his household camel 11. Therefore they did set over them taskwith Jacob.
masters to afflict them with their burdens. 2. Reuben, Simeon, Levi, and Judah, And they built for Pharaoh treasure-cities, 3. Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin, Pithom and Raamses. 4. Dan, and Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. 12. But the more they afflicted them, the
5. And all the souls that came out of the more they multiplied and grew. And they loins of Jacob were seventy souls: for Jo- were grieved because of the children of Israel. seph was in Egypt already.
| 13. And the Egyptians made the children 16. And Joseph died, and all his brethren, | of Israel to serve with rigour: and all that generation.
14. And they made their lives bitter with 7. And the children of Israel were fruit- | hard bondage, in mortar, and in brick, and ful, and increased abundantly, and multipli in all manner of service in the field : all ed, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the their service, wherein they made them serve, land was filled with them.
was with rigour. 8. I Now there arose up a new king over 15. 1 And the king of Egypt spake to the Egypt, which knew not Joseph.
Hebrew midwives ; (of which the name of 9. And he said unto his people, Behold, the one was Shiphrah, and the name of the the people of the children of Israel are more other Puah;) and mightier than we:
| 16. And he said, When ye do the office