« FöregåendeFortsätt »
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
16 Unto the woman he said, I will greåtly multiply thy. sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
318. 791 shall bruise thy. 7 thy. It is the 3d pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of q\to bruise, or crush.
319. nown shalt bruise his. 1) his. Rule 39. pion is the second pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of -10. Our translators bave rendered here in two instances the verbal affix as if a possessive, and suffixed to the following noun; in this they follow the Vulgate. Tremellius has huic calcaneum, and tibi caput. It has been doubted whether a verbal affix be in any case a possessive pronoun, except when with an infinitive or participle.
320. spy heel. It is a root, and signifies to press, to supplant. As a particle, because, inasmuch as.
321. 03107 multiplying. 17 emphat. 0729 infin. Kal; or part. Ben. Kal. Vide num. 19. now is the 1st pers. sing. fut. Kal. Hence 39 many.
322. Juayy thy labour. 7 thy. pasy labour, travail. From 3sy to labour.
323. 20171 and thy gestation. 7 thy. 1 and. 777 or 117 gestation, from 77777 to swell.
.80ms בנים .325
324.770 thou shalt bring forth. It is the ad pers. sing. fem. fut: Kal of th. It drops vide rule 89. 75 signifies to bear, or to beget, and the masculine 175 in Gen. vi. 4, should have been rendered, begat to themselves children. Roffens.
. is the plur. of ya from 1733 to build up. Postea 7j3i. I thy. pa son, and 1 and. "J] my son.
326. yopien thy desire. 7 thy. n in regimine for 17. Vide rule 26. mpen from ppu to desire earnestly. Rules 153. 189.
327. s' he shall govern. It is the 3d pers. sing. masc. fut. Kal of son to rule.
328. 77 over thee. 3 is a prefix; vide rule 148. 1 is a possessive suffix of either the masculine or fem. gender; vide
לקול 289 אשתך 278 ותאכל 210 מן 212 העץ 58 אשר 40 צויתיך 329 לאמר 19 לא 159 תאכל 210 ממנו 212 ארורה 310
האדמה 115 בעבורך 330 בעצבון 322 תאכלנה 210 כל 97 18 ימי 18 חייך: 313 וקוץ 331 ודרדר 332 תצמיח 333 לך 135 19 ואכלת 211 את 4 עשב 55 השדה: 156 בזעת 334 אפיך 335
תאכל -21 לחם 336 עד 337 שובך 338 אל 47 האדמה 115
כי 25 ממנה 212 לקחת 339 כי 25 עפר 168 אתה 298 ואל 47 20 עפר 168 תשוב: 340 ויקרא 243 האדם 117 שם 190
אשתו 251 חוה 341 כי 25 הוא 192 היתה 342 אם 249 כל 97
:1st pers sing צוהתי for צויתי .thee ן
.I commanded thee צויתיך .329
.102 Rule .צוה pret
. Kal of בעבור . .330 עבור . עבר
. 7 . . . . . 330.77aya on your account. 7 thy. niya is termed a particle, because of. From 3 and nay to pass away. But 713y seems rather a participial noun here, and also in Gen. xii. 13. 16. xviii. 26. 1 Sam. xxiii. 10, and Psal. cvi. 32.
a noun from to wound. 332.77771 and thistles. 1 and. 7777 from 17 to go about. Its eed is scattered abroad by the winds. 333. fron shall it produce. It is the 3d pers. fem. sing. fut. Hiphil
sweat . . ; ' to exude. .
thy face. . , . 170.
336. Ons bread. From ons to eat. Also food, fruit, flesh, bread-corn. 337. 7 until. As a noun, futurity.
338. J21 your return. 7 your. is a noun, ur the part. Ben. Kal of -w to return.
339. nmps thou wast taken. It is the 2d pers. sing. pret. Kal of mp's to take. Rule 93.
340. Iwn shalt thou return. 2d pers. m. sing. fut. Kal of av to return. Rule , a
.to budd צמח of יזע in construct . From זעה for זעת .in ב
.in the streat of בזעת .334
.Vide num .אף in construct . of אפים for אפי
.tig face.lthy אפיך .335
is the second person
17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree of which I commanded thee saying, Thou shalt not eat of it; cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life:
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee, and thou shalt eat the herb of the field.
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return unto the ground, for out of it wast thou taken; for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
pronounced on Adam; but it embraced Eve; for otherwise death not being pronounced against her, she must have lived forever. It em. braced also his posterity, or why should they die? If they were not to die, being a part of the original Adam, it would not be true that the whole of his dust should return to dust. But his posterity were embraced in the transactions with Adam. “Let us make man” &c. « And let them have dominion.” “ Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth and subdue it.” “ Behold I have given you every herb" &c.
341. In Eve, life. From 77'n to live. The reason here assigned, 6 because she was the mother of all living," seems to express rather the view of the writer, than of Adam. Whilst Adam and the woman were standing arraigned before the Creator for sin, it is probable that Adam was in expectation of immediate death, the language of the prohibition having been,“ in the day thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” The very first gleam of hope which he had, must have been gathered from the intimation, that the woman should have a seed, the necessary inference immediately presenting itself to his mind, that he should survive for a time, and have posterity. On this account in remembrance of the first consolation, he denominated her, who had been before called 10x (Woman) in that is Life.
342, 0707 has been. 3d pers. sing. fem. pret. Kal of 77'77 to be. 07 into , vide rule 102, and page 29, n. 343. 'n living.
noun masc. life, living. 7'n fem, the same, from
.to live חיה
21 חי: 343 ויעש *38 יהוה 154 אלהים3 לאדם 117 ולאשתו 251 22 כתנות 345 עור 346 וילבשס: 347 ויאמר 19 יהוה 154
אלהים 3 הן 133 הארס 117 היה 20 כאחד 34: ממנו 212 לדעת 348 טוב 26 ורע 183 ועתה 349 פן 350 ישלח 351,
ידו 352 ולקח 339 גם 277 מעץ 58 החיים 313 ואכל 305 23 וחי 353 לעלס: 354 וישלחהו 355 יהוה 154 אלהים 3
344. Thus thy woman. 7 thy. nox in construct. for 108. Vide num. 236.
345. nino coats of. Sing. is and a coat, from na to adhere. Rules 21. 26.
ערוה a cave , and מערה to strip . Hence ערה skin
. From עור .346
. a , nakedness.
347. bubin and clothed them. 1 änd, convers. D them. Rule 40. wake. 3d pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of vas to clothe,
348. nyth to know. 5 to. nyr for you to know. n is added, and rejected from infin. Kal. Rule 89. If 170 had even a 1 prefixed, it would not be converted to a future; vide in rule V. of the note to num. 19. It is therefore certainly in the past tense. If nyrs was intended to mean no more than an infinitive, the needed not to have been prefixed to the word. But nyo may be as well taken for the noun yn in regimine before 310; in either way the true translation must be, to the knowledge of good. And the whole passage will read thus; Behold the man was as one of us, to the knowledge of good there is (or, he has added) also evil. Man now knows by sad experience evil, who being once holy like God, was then acquainted only with
* The verb 70y is one of the most frequent words in the Hebrew language, and is variously rendered, e. g. to ordain, Num. xxviii. 6. to appoint, Psal. civ. 19. to prepare, Ezek. xlv. 22. to provide, 2 Chron. xxxii. 29. He prepared or provided for their covering by directing sacrifices. Or he might have ordained or appointed the skins of the animals which were to be offered in sacrifice, to be made into coats; we say the skins of sacrifices, because we know of no other use that was made of their flesh.
21 Unto Adam also, and to his wife, did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil; and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of lịfe, and eat and live for ever,
23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
,faces פנים Hence
good. The sentence is obviously elliptical, and designedly so, for after every supposition, we neither know the design of the tree of life, nor what would have followed the eating its fruit.
349. nnyi and now. I and. nny or ny a particle, now. ny a noun, time, season. 350. 1o lest. A particle from na to turn, the turning, a corner.
. 351. nhon shall dart forth. It is the 3d pers. masc. sing. fut. Kal of bo to send forth. 352. 17. his hand. 1 his. Rule 39. go the hand, from 177' to reach.
. 353. "Mi and live. I conversive. 'n is the 3d pers. pret. Kal for an to live. o7 final is dropt. Vide rule 102.
354. Osyn for ever. s prefix. ohy to hide. As a noun, a young man, futurity. Oboy's idem.*
* ohy and obry signify radically duration past, or to come, the commencement or termination of which lies concealed. They are often taken to express the eternity of God and his attributes; but are used to express time finite, indefinite, and infinite, and which of the three must be determined by the sense. They are usually rendered in the 70, by www, and like it are used in the plural to signify ages in some passages, and in others the world. Vide Psal. Ixxiii. 12. Eccles. ii. 11, and Heb. i. 2. xi. 3. This last text clearly proves the error of those, who would confine the word awyes always to signify in the New Testament, ages, states, or dispensations of things; for “ the