« FöregåendeFortsätt »
the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of } 16. And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is cause we have no bread. 17. And when Jesus knew faith unto them, Why reason ye, because ye have no b » perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye heart yet hardned ? 18. Having eyes, see ye not? ing ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember? When 1. brake the five loaves among five thousand, many baskets full of fragments took ye up? They say him, Twelve. 20. And when the p seven among four t fand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? they said, Seven. 21. And he said unto them, How that ye do not understand?' 22. And he cometh to B faida, and they bring a blind man unto him, and besou him to touch him. 23. And he took the blind man by hand, and led him out of the Town; and when he had ? 1 on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if saw ought. 24. And he looked up and said, I see men trees, walking. 23. After that, he put his hands again up his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, a saw every man clearly. 25. And he sent him away to house, saying, Neither go into the town, or ' tell it to any the town.
27. T And Jefus went out, and his difciples, int the towns of r Cefarea Philippi: and by s the way he aske
9 + Mar. 7:33:
infomuch that they trode one upon P Ver. 8. + Mat. 15.37. They another, he began to say to his did all eat, and were filled :
and Disciples first of all, Beware of the they took up of the broken mead Leaven of the Pharisees, which is that was left, feven Baskets full. Ilypocrisie.
:5 m * Mat. 16. 7. They reasoned r + See the Note on Mat. 8.4. among themselves, saying, It is be
Mat. 16. 13. When Jesus cause we have taken no Bread. came into the Coasts of Cesares
nt Mar. 6.52. They considered Philippi, he asked his Disciples, say: not the Miracté of the Loaves, for 10 ing, Whom do men say that I the their Heart was hardned.
Son of man am ? + Luk. g. 18. of Mat. 14. 20. They did all It came to pafs as he was alone eat and were filled : and ihey took praying, his Disciples were with up of the Fragments that remained, is him : and he asked them, twelve Baskets full. † Mar. 6. 43.
† Mar. 6.43. saying, Whom say the People that They took up twelve Baskets full I am ? of the Fragments, and of the s Deut. 67. Thou shale teach Fishes. + Joh. 6. 13. They ga. them diligently unto thy Children, thered them together, and filled 20 and talk of them when thou fire! twelve Baskets of the Fragments of in thine House, and when shou the five barley-loaves, which re walket by the way mained over and above unto them
that had caren.
his disciples, saying unto them, Whom do men say that I am? 28. And they answered,
John the Baptist: but some say, Elias; and others, One of the Prophets. 29. And he faith unto them, But whom say ye that I am ? And Peter answereth and faith unto him, Thou art the Chrift. 30. And he charged them that they should tell no man of him. 31. And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must fuffer many things, and be « rejected of the Elders, and of the chief Priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rife again. 32. And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him. 33. But when he had turned about, and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan : for thou favoureft not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men. 34. And when he had called the People unto him, with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross,
35. For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it; but whosoever fhall lose his life for my fake and the gospels, the same shall save it. 36. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? 37. Or what shall a man give 8 in exchange for his soul? 38. h Whofvever therefore shall be ashamed of me, and of my Words, in this adulterous and finful generation, of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed when he cometh in the glory of his Father, with the holy angels.
and follow me.
5. And pa
C H A P. IX.
there be some of them that stand here, which thalle taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God com
2. And after six days Jesus taketh wil him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into a high mountain apart by themselves : and he was transag red before them. 3. And his raiment became shining ceeding c white as snow; fo as no fuller on earth white them. 4. And there
4. And there appeared unto them Elias, w Moses: and they were talking with Jesus. answered arid said to Jesus, Master, it is good for us to here: and let us make three tabernacles; one for the and one for Moses, and one for Elias.
6. For he wilt what to say, for they were sore afraid. 7. And there cloud that overshadowed them and a voice came out of cloud, saying, d This is my beloved Son: hear him. And suddenly when they had looked round about, they no man any more, lave Jesus only with themselves. l. as they came down from the mountain, he charged that they should e tell no man what things they had seen, the Son of man were risen from the dead. kept that saying with themselves, questioning one witha ther what the rising from the dead should mean. they asked him, saying, Why say the Scribes that must first come?' 12. And he answered and told them, as verily cometh first, and restoreth all things, and how & written of the Son of man, that he must suffer many
Mat. 16. 28. Verily I say
Col. 1. 13. Who hach del unto you, There be some standing ed us from the Power of Darky here, which shall not taste of Death and hath translated us into till they see the Son of man com
Kingdom of his dear Son. See ing in his Kingdom. + Luk. 9. 5 Mat. 17. 2, s. 27. I tell you of a truth, there be e See on Mat. 8. 4. some fanding here, which shall not † Mal. 4. 5. Behold, I taste of Death, till they see the send you Elijah 'the Prophet
, Kingdom of God.
fore the Coming of the great + Luk. 9. 28. * See on Mat.10 dreadful Day of the Lord. 17. 1.
17. 10. His Disciples asked Dan. 7. 9. I beheld till saying, Why say the Scribes the Thrones were cast down, and Elias must first come? the ancient of Days did fit, whose & t Pfal. 22. 6. I am a Garmint was white as Snow. 15.
bring him unto me.
should desire him. He is defpifed s n0 Reputation, and took upon him the form of a Servant, and was made in the Likeness of men. Luk. 2 II. And Herod and his men of War Set him at nought, and mocked thus: 'I say unto you, that Elias is indeed come, as it is written of him, and they have done unto him whatsoever they lifted.
and be h set at nought. 13. But I say unto you, that i Elias is indeed come, and they have (1) done unto him whatsoever they lifted, as it is written of him.
14. And when he came to his disciples, he saw a great multitude about them, and the Scribes questioning with them. 15. And straightway all the people, when they beheld him, were greatly amazed, and running to him, faluted him. 16. And he asked the Scribes, What question ye * with them [Or, among your selves]? 17. And 1 one jof the multitude answered and laid, Master, I have brought unto thee my sori, which hath a dumb fpirit: 18. And wherefoever he taketh him, he * teareth [Or, dasheth] him ; and he fometh and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples, that they should cast him out, and they could not
: 19. He answered him, and faith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you?
20. And they brought him unto him : and when he m saw him, straightway the spirit tare him, and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foming. 21. And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child. 22. And oft-times it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters to destroy him : but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us. 23. Jesus said unto him, If thou canst n believe, all O
things and no man; a reproach of men,
i f See on Mat. i1.14: and despised of the People.
* Ifa. k* Mat.17. 14 When they were 53. 2, &c.—He hath no Form nor
come to the Multitude, there came Comeliness : and when we shall see
to him a certain man kneeling down him, there is no Beauty that we
I of Mat. 17. 14. The Words un. and rejected of men, &c. + Dan. der Ver. 14. + Luk. 9. 38. Behold, 9: 26. After threescore and two Weeks fhall Meliah be cut off
one of the Company cried out,say
ing, Master, I beseech thee, look + Phil. 2. 7. Made himself of
upon my Son, for he is mine only Child.
n + Mar. i 26. When the unclean Spirit had torn him, and cried with a loud Voice, he came out of him.
2 Chron. 20. 10. -- Believe in 15
the (1) The Treatment John Baptist received in the World not being exprefled in the Old Testament, this Verle may le better rendred
things are possible to him that believeth. 24. And straigh way the father of the child cried out, and said with teas Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. 25. When Jell saw that the people came running together, he rebukedd foul spirit, laying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit charge thee, Come out of him, and enter no more into hi 26. And the spirit cried, and rent him fore, and came out him; and he was as one dead, insomuch that many said, He dead. 27. But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted H up, and he arose. 28. And when he was come into the hou his disciples asked him privately, Why could not we him out? 29. And he said unto them, This kind can co forth by nothing, but by prayer and fafting. 30. they departed thence, and passed through o Galilee ; and would not that any man thould know it. 31. For he taugl his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is deliv ed into the hands of men, and they shall kill him, and af that lie is killed, he fall rise the third day. understood not that saying, and were afraid to ask him.
And he came to Capernaum ; and being in the hou he asked them, What was it that ye disputed among lelves by the way? 34. But they held their peace: for the way they had disputed among themselves, who should the greatest.
35. And he sat down and called the Twel and faith unto them, If any man desire to be a first, the fa shall be last of all, and servant of all. 36. And he tool
child, and set him in the midst of them, and when he taken him in his arms, he said unto them, 37. Whosoe
the Lord your God, fo fhall you of Heaven? | Luk. 9. 46. be established; believe his Pro there arose a Reasoning am phets, so shall ye prosper. † A&t. 14: them, which of them should 9. [Paul] perceiving that he had the greatest. Faith to be healed. | Luk. 16. 6. If 5 9 † Mat. 20. 26, 27. It shall ye had Faith as a Grain of mustard be so among you :
but who feed, ye might say unto this Sy ever will be great among you, camine-tree, Be thou plucked up him be your Minister.
And wh by the Root, and be thou planted
soever will be chief among you, in the Sea
i and it fhould obey 10 him be your Servant. you
43. Whosoever will be great 0* See on Mat. 16. 21.
mong you, let him be your p* Mat. 18. 1. At the same time nifter. came the Disciples to Jefus, saying, rt Mar. 10. 16. who is the greatest in the Kingdom 15