« FöregåendeFortsätt »
H. II. have not written unto you, because ye know not the truth : but becaufe ye 'know it, and that no lie is of 'the truth. 22. Who is a liar but he that u denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. 23. Whosoever a denieth the Son, the fame hath not the Father: [but] he that b knowledgeth the Son, hath the Father also. 24. Let that" therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning, shall remain in you, ye also shall d continue in the Son
, and in the Father. 25. And this is the promise that he
1 Joh. 4. 2, 3. Hereby hath seen the Father; and how faya know ye the Spirit of God: every est thou then, Shew us the Father? Spirit that confefseth Jesus Christ Believest thou not, that I am in is come in the Flesh, is of God. the Father, and the Father in me?
And every Spirit that confefleth not s- t : Joh.4. 15. Whosoever fhall that Jesus Christ is come in the confefs that Jesus is the Son of God, Flesh, is not of God : and this is God dwelleth in him, and he in God that Spirit of Antichrist whereof you 24.° 2 Joh. ver. 6. —This is have heard that it should come, the Commandment, that as ye have and even now already is it in the to heard from the Beginning, ye should World. 2 Joh. ver. 7. Many walk in it. Deceivers are entred into the d*: Joh. 14. 23. - If a Man World, who confess not that Jesus love me, he will keep my Words: Christ is come in the Flesh. This and my Father will love him, and is a Deceiver, and an Antichrist. 15 we will come unto him, and make our
23. a Luk. 12.9. He that denieth abode with him.''; Joh. 1. 3. me before Men, shall be denied be Truly our Fellawship is with the F** fore the Angels of God. Joh. ther, and with bis Son Jesus Chrif. 15, 23. He that hatech me, hatech
25. Joh. 17. 3. This is Life my Father also. :: 2 Joh. ver. 9.20 eternal, that they might know thee Whosoever tranfgrefleth and abi- theonly true God, and Jesus Chrift deth not in the Do&trine of Christ, whoin thou haft fent. : 1 Joh. 1. bath not God: he that abidech in 2. The Life was manifested, and the Doctrine of Christ, he hath we have seen it, and bear wirnels, both the Father and the Son. 25 and thew unto you that eternally b Joh. $ 19.
Ye neither which was with the Father, and know me, nor my Father : If
had was manifested unto us. ich. known me, ye should have known my 5.11,25. This is the Record that Father afo. : Joh. 14. 7, 9, 10. God hath given to If ye had known me, ye ihould have 3o Lije: and this Life is in his Son. known mny Father allo: and from This is the true God, and eter benceforth ye know him, and have rial Life. seen him. He that hath scen me, who have the Allistance of the Holy Spirit in a far iers degree? Those who undervalue the external Word, do generally fall into a false Enebaiari and those that reject the inward Operations of the Spirit, fai i to Hipocris
: and Formality ; both are Enemies to the Power of Religio
ath promised us, even eternal life. 26. These things have written unto you, concerning them that “ leduce you. 7. But the anointing which ye have received of him, adeth in you: and ye need not that 8 any man teach you: it, as the same anointing 5 teacheth you of all things, and truth, and is no lie: and even as it hath taught you, ye all abide in him. 28. And now, little children, abide in m; that when he shall i appear, we may have confidence, d k not be ashamed before him at his coming. 29. If
know that he is righteous, * ye know [Or, know ye] at every one that m doth righteousness, is born of him.
C H A P. III. | EHOLD, what manner of love the Father hath be) ftowed upon us, that we should be called the a fons God: therefore the world knoweth us not,
b because it ew him not.
2. Beloved, now are, we the · sons of God, d it doth not yet
appear what we shall be: but we oiv, that when he shall appear, we shall be o like him ; r we shall f see him as he is. 3. And every man it hath this hope in him, 3 purifieth himself, even as
4. Whosoever committeth fin tranfgreffeth o the law : for h'fin is the transgression of the law.
16,F.: 1 Joh. 3. 7.
: 2 Joh. his own : but because ye are not :7. Many Deceivers are entred of the World, but I have chosen o the Worid.
you out of the World, therefore 7. % + Jer. 31. 34. 1 Heb. 8. the World hateth you. Joh. 16. See on Joh.6.4$.
53. These things will they do un† Joh. 14. 26. † Joh. 16. 13. you, because they have not on Ver. 20.
known the Father, nor me. t Joh. 8.it Joh. 3. 2.
17. 25. Orighteous Father, the See on 1 Joh. 3. 21.
World hath not known thee but I 29. : Ačts 22. 14. The God have known thee, and these have our Fathers hath chofen thee,
known that thou hast fent me. I thou shouldst know his Will, 2. f Isa. 56. 5. + Gal. 3. 26. see that just one, and shouldst † Gal. 4. 6. See on Rom. 8.15. r the Voice of his Mouth.
d t 2 Cor. 4. 17.
See on Rom. 1 Joh. 3:7, 1o.
See on i
eot i Cor. 15. 49.
21. t Col. 3. 4. See on Rom. # Joh. 1.12.
See on Rom. 15.
+ Pfal. 16. II. of 2 Cor.5. Joh. 15.18, 19. If the World 30 7. See on 1 Cor. 13. 12. you, ye know that it hated me 3.
& See on i Thef.
4 3,7. vre it hated you. If ye wore of
4.5 + 1 Joh. 5 17. See on Rom. World, the world would love
+ Phil. 3.
5. And ye know that he was i manifested to k take way our sins; and in him is ' nó fin. 6. Whosoever abideth in him, finneth not : m whosoever finneth; hath not seen him, neither known him. 7. Little children, let no man - deceive you: He that • doth righteousness, is righteous, even as he is righteous: 8. He that P committeth fin, is of the devil : for the devil finneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifefted, that he might 9 destroy the works of the devil. O Whosoever is ( 1 ) born of God, * doth not commit fin; for his s feed remaineth in him: and he capnot fin, because he is born of God. 19. In this the children of God are manifeft, and the children of the devil: Whosoever doth not righteousness, is not of God, u neither he that loveth not
his 5. .: Joh. 1. 2. See on Joh. 2. nti Joh.2.26. 1. 14
.: Rom. 2. 13.
Joh. 2 kt Ifa. 53.6, 6c. + Tim. 1. 29. See on i Thef. 4. 7. 15. See on Joh. 1. 29. and on ż 8. P f Joh. 8. 44. See on Mat Cor. 5.21.
513.38. I See on 2 Cor. 5. 21.
a See on Joh. 12.31. 6. m + 1 Joh. 2. 4. He that faith 9. ' f 1 Joh. 5. 18. We know I knove him, and keepeth not his that whosoever is born of God Commandments, is a Liar, and the finneth not.Truth is not in him. t 1 Joh. 4. 10 sti Pet. 1. 23. See on Heb. 8. He that loveth not, knoweth not God. + 3 Joh. ver. 11. -He that 10." + 1 Joh. 4. 8. See on Joh. doth good, is of God: but he that 13. 34. doth evil, hath not seen God.
(1) By being born of God, is meant, the having the Heart and Soul renewed and changed, the whole Stream of the Affections turned from the Love and Practice of Sin, to the Love and Obedience of God. By not Jinning, Ver. 6. and by not committing, fin here, is not meant, every deviation or going beside the Law, but the wilful Transgression or Rejeating of the Law it felf, the living and continuing in a Courfe of wilful and habitual Sin. A good Man, one who is in a good Degree born of God's through the Violence of Tempration, through furprize, or want of Corfideration, may be overtaken with a Fault; but this notwithstanding, such is the inward Disposition of his Soul, such' the Temper of his Mind, that he hates and abhors Sin, and he cannot entertain the Thoughts of commit ting it without the utmost Detestation and Horror. And if at any time he commits a single Act of Sin, he judges and condemns himself for it, and bitterly repents of it, as David and St. Peter did, and with great Diligence and Application watches against it for the future. He cannot Sir, that is, he cannot without great Difficulty be brought to love and delight in it,' he cannot fin without great Trouble and Uneafiness to himself. it being direEtly contrary to that State in which he is. See more 19 Dr. Whitby's Notes on 1 Joh. 3.8,9.
s brother. 11. For this is the * message [Or, commandent] that ye heard a from the beginning, that we should love one another. 12. Not as
12. Not as · Cain, who was of that icked one, and flew his brother : And wherefore New : him? Because his own works were evil, and his brolers righteous. 13. Marvel not, my brethren, if the orld d hate you.
14. We know that we have passed om death unto life, because we love the brethren : > that loveth not his brother, abideth in death. 15. Thosoever f hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye now that 3 no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him. 1. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he id down his life for us: and we ought to lay down r lives for the brethren. 17. But whoso hath this orlds good, and seeth his brother * have need, and shutth
up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth le love of God in him? 18. My little children, ' let us it love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in uth. 19. And hereby we know m that we are of the
h. 1. 5:
11. a ț 1 Joh. 2. 7.
See on i
& † Gal. s. 21. See on Cor. ot'Ver. 23. Joh. 15. 12.
16. h Joh. 3. 16. Rom. 5. :e on Joh. 13. 34.
8. † Eph. 5. 2. Joh.4.9. See 12. + Gen. 4. 8. It came to son Joh 15. 13. fs when they were in the Field, i See on 2 Tim. 4.6. at Cain rose up against Abel his 17. k t Deut. 15.7. t 1 Joh. 4. rother, and flew him. : Jude 20. See on Luk. 3. 11. cr. 11. Wo unto them, for they 18. ' : Ezek. 33. 31. - With ve gone in the Way of Cain, and 10 their.Mouth they skew much love, but n greedily after the Error of Ba their Heart goeth after their Coam for Reward.
verousness. ; Rom. 12. 9. Let 13. - Prov. 29. 27. An unjust Love be without Disimulation. — an is an Abomination to the Juft: Eph. 4. 15. Speaking the Truth id he that is upright in the Way,15 (or, being sincere] in Love.- + Jam. abomination to the Wicked. 7 Joh. 2. 15, 16. If a Brother or Sifter be 5.18. See on Ver. 1.
naked, and destitute of daily Food, 14. t 1 Joh. 2.9,10,11. See notwithstanding ye give them not
those things which are needful to the 15; ff Mat. 5. 21, 22. Ye have 20 Body; what doth it profit ?Pet. eard that it was said by them of 22. Seeing ye have purified Id time, thou shall not kill. - But your Souls in obeying the Truth say unto you, That whosoever is through the Spirit, unto unfeigned ngry with his Brother without a cause, Love of the Brethren. hall be in danger of the Judges 19. Joh. 18. 37.- Every dent-:Joh. 4. 20. If a Man one that is of the Truth heareth my ay, I love God, and hatesh his Bro. Voice. 1 1 Joh. 1. 8. If we say ber, he is a Liar.
n Joh. 13. 34.
truth, and shall * assure [Gr. perswade] our hearts before him. 20. For if our heart coidemn us, n God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. 21. Beloved (1) if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence towards God. 22. And whatsoever we p ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and 9 do those things that are pleasing in his fight. 23. And this is his commandment, that we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, 25 he gave us commandment. 24. And he that u keepeth
that we have no Śin, we deceive Bodies washed with pure Water. our selves, and the Truth is not 1 Joh. 2. 28. Little Children, abide in us.
in him ; that when he jhall appear, 20. n :: 1 Cor. 4.4.
I know no
we may have confidence, and not be thing by my self
, yet am I not s alhamed before him at his coming. hereby justified: but he that judg. f Joh. 4. 17. Herein is our love eth me is the Lord.
made perfeet, that we may have 21. "Job 11. 15. [If thou put boldness in the Day of Judgment.Iniquity far away) then shalt thou 22. P + Mat. 21. 22.
+ Joh. 14 life up thy Face without spot, yea, 1013; Joh. 15.7. Joh. 16. 23. thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not Jam. 5. 16. t Joh. 5. 14. See fear. : Job 22. 26. (If thou re on Mat. 7:7. and on Joh. 9. 31. turn to God) then shalt thou have 9: Joh. 8. 29. He that sent me, thy delight in the Almighty, and is with me: the Father harh not thou shalt lift up thy Face unto God. left me alone : for I do always
15 Luk. 21. 36. Watch ye therefore, those things that please him. and pray always, that ye may be 23. "Joh. 6.29. See on Joh. accounted worthy to escape all 3. 16. and on Joh. 17. 3. these things that shall come to pass, † Ver. 11. : 1 Joh. 2. !o. and to stand before the Son of Man. + 1 Joh. 4. 21.
See on Joh. t Heb. 10. 22. Let us draw near 13. 34 with a true Heart, in full afurarice of 24. “ Joh. 15. 10. See on Jok. Faith, having our Heart Sprinkled 14. 15. from an evil Conscience, and our
(1) By Heart here, is meant the Mind and Conscience. The Sense therefore of this place is, If our Consciences, not being seared and bar. dened by Sin, and being rightly inform’d of the Nature and Extent of our Duty, and after a thorough Examination, by comparing our A&tions with the Rule of our Duty, right Reason, and the holy Scriptures, shal! sc. quit us, and give Testimony that we have fincerely endeavoured to serve and please God, and to approve our selves in his fight, then may we have an humble Confidence towards God, that he will hear and accepe nis: Bur if we have wilfully n gle&ted to inform our Consciences, or if by sinning against God, we have laid them ascep, or lived without Examination, our hope and confidence of being accepied by him is deceitful, vain, and presumptuous. Then only have we a reasonable Hope of receiving what we ask of God, when we keep his Comnandments, and do chole things which are pleasing in his light. Ver. 22.