« FöregåendeFortsätt »
and the P holy Ghost: and 9 these three are one. &. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood :, and these three agree in one.
9. If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater : for this is the " witness of God, which he liath teftified of his Son. 10. He that believerh on the Son of God, hath the witness in himself: he that believeth nat God," hath made him a liar, because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. 11. And this is the record, that God hath given to us 'eternal life: and I this life is in his Son. ъ Не that hath the Son, hath life ; and he that hath not the Son of God, hath not life. 13. “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that yè have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of
onder ver. 7.
Of the Witness of the holy ding in you for whom he hath Spirit, See on Mat. 3. 16.
Sent, him ye believe nöt. * Joh. 10.30, I and my Father 11. f Joh. 1. 4. See on A&s
3. 15. 9' † Joh. 8. 18. The Words § 12. t Joh. 3. 36. † Joh.5. 24.
See on Acts 3.15. jos † Gal. 4.6. See on Rom. 13. C 1 Joh. 20. 31. These things 8. 15,16.
are written, that ye might believe 7 Joh. 3. 33. He that hath re that Jesus is the Christ the son of ceived this Testimony, hath fec to to God, and that believing ye might his Seal that God is true. : Joh. ' have Life through his Name. 5. 38. Ye have not his Word abi
meer nominal Diflin&ion, and something less than that of three different Spirits : And because I find each Person separately as well as jointly men. tioned as God, and divine. Worship allow'd and paid to them: Therefore as that excellent Creed expreffethit, ' I worship the Trinity in Uni
ty, and Unity in Trinity ; neither confounding the Persons, nor die viding the Substance.
Now,at the same Time I make this Profession of my Faith, I allow I have not the least Knowledge how. strict this Union is, nor how great the Dio ftinction. It is as much beyond my Reason, as the Glory of God is beyond my sight ;
and any Man who ftrives to conceive it himself, or takes Pains to explain it to others, is guilty of such-a folly, that I can't think of any Adion in Nature extravagant enough to match it. If we saw a Man stretching up his Hand with a great deal of Vehcmence to pull down a Star, we should certainly conclude him distracted ; because 'tis utreris impossible for him to reach it, or grasp it if he could.' 'Tis the very (ale of those Men, who go about to account for the Manner of that Unisyan: Diflination for which we have neither Words nor Ideo's. Dr. Bro pue, now *Térd Bifhcp of Corke, his Answer to Toland, pag. 55,5C.
14. And this is the confidence that we have * in [Or, cor-cerning] him, that if we d ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us.
15. And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the Petitions that we defired of him. 16. If any man see his brother fin a fin which is not unto death, lie Shall ask, and he shall give him 'life for them that sin not unto death. f There is a (1) fin uito death : I do not say that he shall pray for it. 17. All unrighteousness is fin: and there is a h fin not, unto death.
14.4 + 1 Joh. 3. 22. See on Mat. f Heb. 6. 4. † Heb. 10. 26. See 7. 7, 8,
on Mat. 12.31. 16. e Job 42. 8. -Go to my ** Jer.7. 16. Przy not thou for Servant job, and offer up for your
this People, neither lift up cry nor felves a Burnt-offering, and my s Prayer for them, neither make InServant Job shall pray for you, for
tercession to me; for I will not hear him will I accept.- † Jam. 5.
thee. ler. 11. 14. Pray not thou for 4: 15. Is any Sick among you, this people, --for I will not hear let him call for the Elders of the them in the time that they cry Church, and let them pray over 10 unto me for their trouble. Jer. him. And the Prayer of Faith
14. 11. Then said the Lord unto fhall Save the Sick, and the Lord me, Pray not for this people for fhall raise him up ; and if he have their good. Jer. 15. 1, 2. Then committed Sins, they shall be for said the Lord unto me, Though given him.
Moses and Samuel stood before me, yet Numb. 15. 30. But the Soul my Mind could not be toward that doth ought presumptuously,
this People :: cast them out of my (whether he be born in the Land, Sight, and let them go forth. or a Stranger) the fame reproach: Such as are for death, to death; eth the Lord, and that Soul thall 20 and such as are for the Sword, be cut of from among his people.
to the Sword; and such as are Deut. 13. 5. That Prophet, or that
for the Famine, to the Famine, dreamer of Dreams phall be påt to 17. h + 1 Joh. 3.4. See on Rom. deall, because he hath spoken to turn you away from the Lord.-25
(1) By the Sin unto Death, is meant probably, a total and malicious ApoStacy from the Christian Faith to the Heathen Idolatry. "For Ver. 18. Whosoever is born of God finnet h not, that is, he does not commit that Sin of Apostacy which the Apostle is here speaking of. This Senfe is likewise confirm'd, ver.21. Little Children,keep your selves from idols. We have no warrant to hope that Prayers will be available for such without their Repentance. And though their Repentance may be difficult, yet if they do repent and return, I do not fee any thing in the New-Teftament which forbids their being received. See the Notes, on Heb. 6.4. and on Heb. 10.26. Their Care is bur little different from that of Apoplates, who live, and continue to live in known, open, and wilful Disobedierice to rise Laws of Christ, and are deaf to all the calls and Exhortati. ćns to Repentance. Sie the Note on 1 Cor. 5.5.
18. We know that whosoever 'is i born of God finneth not, but he that is begotten of God, k. keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 19. And we know; that we are of God, and the whole world
lieth in wickedness. 20. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath m given us an understanding that we may * know him that is true : and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. o This is the true God, and P eternal life. 21. Little children, keep your felves from idols. Amen.
2 JOH N.
After the Year of our Lord go.
HE : Elder unto the bele&t lady, and her children, whom I love ' in the truth; and not I 01
18. i •: 1 Pet. 1. 23. : 1 Joh. 3. for ever. Amen. t 1 Tim. 3.16. 9. See on Joh. 3. 3, s.
God was manifest in the Flesh. – * Jam. 1. 27. See on Joh. Tit. 2. 13. Looking for that bles17. 15.
fed Hope, and the glorious appear. 19.' See on Joh. 12.31.
sing of the great God, and our Savi. * 20. m + Luk. 24.45. Then open
our Jesus Chrift. ed be their Understanding, that they
p : Ver. 11, 12, 13. might understand the Scriptures.
21. 9 See on i Cor. 1o. 14, n See on Joh. 17. 3.
2 JOHN + Ifa. 9. 6. Unto us a Child 10 ,' ! 2 See on 1 Tim. 5. 1. is born, unto us a Son is given, 1 Pet. 5. 13: The Church that and the Government shall be upon is at Babylon elected together with his Shoulder: and his Name shall you, saluteth you. be called Wonderful, Counsellor, ¢ Gal. 5.7. -Who did hinder The mighty God, The everlasting Fa: Is you, that ye should not obey the ther, The Prince of Peace. † Ifa. Trush ? Eph. t. 13. In whom ye 44. 6. Thus faith the Lord the also trusted afrer that ye heard the King of Ifrael, and his Redeemer the Word of Truth, the Gospel of your Lord of Hosts, I am the first, and I am Salvation.- 2 Thes, 2: 13.- God the last, and besides me there is no 20 hath from the beginning chosen Gcd. it Isa. 54, 5. Thy Maker is you to Salvation, through San&ifi. thine Husband (the Lord of Hosts cation of the Spirit, and belief of is his Name) and thy Rodei mer the the Truth. Tim. 2.4. Who will koly One of Israel, the God of the whole have all Men to be saved, and to Earth all he be called. t Joh. 20.25 come to the Knowledge of the 28. Thomas antwered and laid un. Truth. Heb. 10. 26. If we fin wil. to him, My Lord,and my God. † Romn, fully after that we have received 0.5. - Who is over all, God bl.fed
ly, but also all they that have known the truth ; For the truths faké which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever : 3 Grace * be [Gr. shall be] with you, mercy and peace from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love. 4. I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy chil, dren e walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father. s. And now, I beleech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we & love one another. 6. And this is h love, that we walk after his commandments. - This is the commandment, that as ye have i heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it. 7. For many deceivers are entred into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the fiefh. This is a deceiver and an antichrift. 8. Look to yourselves that we m lose not those things which we have (1) wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 9. Whosoever transgresseth, and » abideth not in the do&trine of Christ, hath not God: he that abideth
the Knowledge of the Truth. + Joh. 15. 12. + Eph. s. 2. Jam. 1. 18. Of bis own Will begat + 1 Pet. 4. 8. t 1 Joh. 3. 23. See he us with the Word of Truth.
on Joh. 13:34. -. Jam. 5. 19. Brethren, if any of 6. ht Joh. 15. 10. f 1 Joh. s. you do err from the Truth, and one 53. See on Joh. 14. 15. convert him. 1 Pet. 1. 22. Seeing t Joh. 2. 24. Ler that thereye have purified your Souls in o fore abide in
have beying the Truth through the Spi- beard from the beginning: rit. Pet. 1, 12. I will not be 7. t i Joh. 4. 1. See on a negligent to put you always in re. 10 Pet. 2. 1. membrance of these things, tho' f 1 Joh. 4. 2, 3. See on 1 Joh. ye know them, and be established in the present Truth. 2 Pet. 2. 2. 8. n + Gal. 3. 4. Have ye sufferMany shall follow their pernicious ed so many things in vain ? if it Ways , by reason of whom the Way is be yet in vain.
f Heb. 10. 32. of Truth shall be evil spoken of. Call to remembrance the former | Ver. Ź. +3 Joh. verses 1, 3, 8. Days, in which after ye were illuThe Gospel is called the Truth in di- minated, ye endured a great fight of vers other Places. See on Gal. Afflictions. 2.5.
20 9. " t 1 Joh. 2.23. Whosoever 3. d See on Rom. 1. 7.
denieth the Son, the same hath not 4. † 3 Joh, ver. 3.
the Father: [but] he that aço 5, f f iJch. 2.7, 5. t 1 Joh. 3. knowledgeth the Son, hath the Fa11. See on Joh 13. 34.
ther also. (1) Or, gained. Sone Copies read, which we have gained, but that ye receive, &c.
in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed. 11. For he thať biddeth him God lpeed, is partaker of his evil deeds. 12. P Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink; but I trust to come unto you, and speak * face to face [Gr. mouth to moutb], 9 that * our [Or, your] joy may be full. 13. The children of thy elect fifter greet thee. Amen.
After the Year of our Lord go.
HE & elder unto the well-beloved Gaius, b whom
I lově * in the truth [Or, truly]. 2. Beloved, * wish, [Or, pray] above all things that thou mayst prosper, and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. 3. For I rejoiced greatly when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkeft in the truth. 4. I have no greater a joy than to hear that e my children walk in truth. doft f. faithfully whatsoever thou dost to the brethren, and to strangers. 6. Which have born witnels of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey * after a godly fort [Gr. worthy of God), thou fhalt do well: 7. Because that for his names fake they went forth, taking nothing of the Gentiles. 8. We therefore ought to receive fuch, that we might be fel
5. Beloved, thou
10. • t Cor.16.22. If any Man 12. PT 3 Joh. ver. 13. Jove not the Lord Jesus Christ, let 9. + Joh. 17. 13. ti Joh. 1. 4. him be Anathema, Maranatha. f Gal. See on Joh. 15. 11. 1.8. Though we or an Angel' from
3 JOHN. Heaven preach any other Gospel uno s
2 See on, Tim.ş. !. to you, than that which we have
u t 2 Joh. ver. 1. preached unto you, let him be ac
CF Joh. ver. 4. cursed. † Tit. 3:10. A Man that
d See on 2 Cor 1. 14. is an Heretick, after the first and se. † Philem, ver. 10
See oni cond Admonition, reject. † Rom. 1o Cor. 4.13. 16. 17. f 1 Cor. 5. 11. + 2 Tim, $.53 on : Cor. 4. :. 3.5. "See on Mat, 18, 17.