« FöregåendeFortsätt »
hast learned them; 15. And that a from a child thou haft known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation, through faith which is in Christ Jefus. 16. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is a profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17. That the man of God may be * perfect, [Or, perfected] throughly furnished unto all good works.
CH A P. IV.
Christ, who shall • judge the quick and the dead at his appearing, and his kingdom: 2. ° Preach the word, be
ill15.,2 2 Chron. 34. 3. While went and preached unto the Spirits he (Fofiah) was yet young, he began in Prison. t 2 Pet. I. 20, 21. to seek after the God of David his No Prophecy of the Scripture is of Father. Prov. 22. 6. Train up a any private Interpretation. For Child in the Way he should go : 5 Prophecy .came not in old time by and when he is old he will not de. the Will of Man : but holy Men part from it. Eccl. 12. 1. Remem of God spake as they were moved by the ber now thy Creator in the Days of holy Ghost.
: Rom. 15. 4. See on Rom. 'D See on Luk. 16. 29. and on 10 4. 23. Rom. 4. 23,
17. See on I Tim. 6. II. 1 Pet. 1. 11. Searching •:2 Tim. 2. 21. See on Eph. what or what manner of Time the Spirit of Christ which was in them
CHAP. IV. (the Prophets] did fignifie. 115 + 1 Tim. 6. 13. + 2 Tim. Pet. 3. 18, 19. --Being put to 2. 14. See on Rom. I. 9. death in the Flesh, but quickned
b. See on Acts 10. 42. by the Spirit : By which also he 2. C See on 1 Tim. 3. 2. saved. He considers himself as the Minister and Steward of Christ, beha ving himself with that Diligence, Prudence, Faithfulness, and Circumfpečtion, that while he preaches to others, he himself may not become a Cast-away:
He studies, to approve himself to God, a Workman that need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth. He preaches che Word, being instant in Season, and out of Season, reproving, rebuking, exhorting with all Long-suffering and Do&trine. Those that oppoke themselves he instructs with Meekness, waiting and praying that God would give them Repentance to the Acknowledgment of the Truth He feeds the Flock of God, not by constraint, but willingly, not for filthy Lucre, but of a ready Mind. His Speech, and his Preaching is not with enticing Words of Man's Wisdom, but he speaks as the Oracles of God, in Demonftration of the Spirit, and of Power, with uncorruptnes, gravity, sincerity, not as pleasing Men, but God, who triech the Hearts. The Index under the Word Minister may suggest that Particulars.
instant in season, e out of season; reprove, rebuke, ex-. ort with all long-suffering and doctrine. 3. For the f time rill come, when they will not > endure h Cound doctrine; but
after their own lufts shall they heap to themselves teachrs, having itching Ears. 4. And they shall k turn away beir ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto 1 fables. . But m watch thou in all things, * endure afflictions, do he work of an o evangelist, * make p full proof of [Or, full] thy ministry. 6. For I am now ready to be 9 offered, nd the time of " my departure is at hand. 7. I have 'fought
good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the aith. 8. Henceforth there is laid up for me a "crown of ighteousness, which the Lord the righteous judge shall
ive me * at that day: and not to me only, but unto all hem also that love his appearing. 9. Do thy diligence to
come shortly unto me. 10. For · Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto
TheffaLuk. 14. 23. - Compel them to 5.
in See on Mat. 24. 42, 43. ome in, that my Houfe may be
ń See on 2 Tim. 2. 3. Hled.
of Eph. 4. 11. See on Acts Acts 20. 7. -Paul preached into them, ready to depart on the
14. Morrow, and continued his Speech un 6. 9 Rom. 16.4. Who have for il Midnight.
my Life laid down their own Necks, 3. f. 2 Tim. 3. I.
- Phil. 2. 17. Yea, and if I be § 1 King. 22. 8. –There is yet offered upon the Sacrifice and SerOne Man (Micaiah the Son of Im vice of your Faith, I joy and rejoice ah) by whom we may enquire of with you all. he Lord; but I hate him, for he r of Phil. 1. 23. I am in a strait loth not Prophesie good concerning me, betwixt two, having a desire to deut evil. Ifa. 30. 10. Which say to part, and to be with Christ, which he Seers, See not; and to the 15 is far better.
of 2 Pet. 1. 14. Prophets, Prophesie not unto us right Knowing that I must shortly pus hings, speak unto us smooth things, off this my Tabernacle. – rophefie deceits.
7. S † Phil. 3. 14. + 1 Tim. 6. h See on i Tim. 1. 10.
12. + Heb. 12., 1. See on I Cor. i Mich. 2, 11. If a Man walk- 20 9. 24, 25. ng in the Spirit and Falshood do 8. * Jam. 1. 12. t 1 Pet. 5.4. ie, saying, I will prophesie unto thee See on i Cor. 9. 25. f Wine, and offrong Drink ; he shall a See on 2 Tim. 1 12. ven be the Prophet of this Peo. 9. Tim. 1. 4. Grea:ly desiring ole. ; 2 Tim. 3. 6.
25 to see thee, being mindful of thy Jer. 44. 16. As for the Tears, that I may be filled Word which thou hast spoken un
with joy. us in the Name of the Lord, 10.C + Col. 4. 14. Luke the bewe will not hearken unto thee.
loved Physician, and Dumas greet t i Tim. 4. 7. See on i Tim. 30 you. t Philem. ver. 24. Demas,
Lucas, my fellow-labo irers.
♡ See on
Thessalonica : Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. 11. Only Luke is with me. Take f Mark and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry. I 2. And 3 Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus., 13. The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments
. 14. ḥ Alexander the copper-Imith did me much evil: the Lord i reward him according to his works. i5. Of whom be thou ware also ; for he hath greatly withstood our * words [Or, preaching]: 16. At my first answer no man stood with me, but * all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. 17. | Notwithstanding, the Lord stood with me, and strengthned me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered ► out of the mouth of the lion. 18. And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: n to whom be glory for ever and ever, Amen. 19. Salute • Prisca and Aquila, and the P houshold of Onesiphorus. 20. 9 Erastus abode at Corinth: but " Trophimus have I left at Miletum fick. 21. Do thy diligence to come before winter. Eubulus greeteth thee, and Pudens, and Linus, and Claudia, and all
the brethren. 22. • The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen.
11. 2 Tim. 1. 15. This thou Works. knowest, that all they which are in 16. k.: 2 Tim. 1. 15. The Words Alia be turned away from me.
1. Mat. 26. 56. + Col
4. 14. Luke the beloved Then all the Disciples forsook him Physician.
s and fled. f.: Col. 4.
See on A&ts 17. 1: Mat. 10. 19. When they 15. 37.
deliver you up, take no though 12. • Eph. 6. 21. + Col. 4.7. how or what
shall speak, for it + Tit. 3. 12.
See on A&s 20. 4. shall be given you in that some Hour h See on Acts 19. 33.
Io what ye Mall speak. 2 Sam. 3. 39.
The Lord in † Psal. 22. 21. Save me from Thall Reward the doer of Evil ac the Lions Mouth cording to his Wickedness. † Pfal. 18. n See on Rom. 16.27. 28. 4. Give them according to their
o See on Acts 18. 2. Decds, and according to the Wicked p't 2 Tim. 1. 16 The Lord
IS nefit of their Endeavours: give give mercy unto the House of On: them after the Work of their Siphorus ; for he oft refreshed me, Hands, render to them their desert. and was not ashamed of my Chain. # Rev. 18.,6. Reward her even as 20. 9 See on A&s 19. 22. the rewarded you, and double un- 20
r See on Acts 20. 4. to her double, according in her 22. See on 1 Thef.5.23,
The second epistle unto Timotheus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Ephesians, was written from Rome, when Paul was brought before * Nero [Gr. Cefar Nero, or, the Emperor Nero] the second time.
Year of our Lord 6s.
according to the faith of Gods elect, and the acknows ledging of the truth, a which is after godliness: 2. * In [Or, for] hope of eternal life, which God that cannot lie, promised before the (1) world began. 3. But hath in due times manifefted his word through preaching, which is d committed unto me, according to the commandment of God our Saviour: 4. To f Titus & mine own son after the common faith:
Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour. this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldst * set in order the things that are * wanting [Or, left undone], and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee.
1. a † 1 Tim. 3. 16. See on i 10. See on 1 Tim. 1.1. Tim. 6. 3.
4. f + 2 Cor. 7. 14. f 2 Cor. 8. 2.b + Numb. 23. 19. God is not 6, 16. Gal. 2. 3. See on 2 Cor. a Man, that he should lie.- 1 Sam. 15. 29. Also the Strength of Israel s 8 ti Tim. 1. 3. See on i Cor. will not lie. 2 Tim. 2. 13. If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful, t. Cor. 4.13. t 2 Pet. 1. I. he cannot deny himself.
See on Rom. 1. 12. + 2 Tim. 1. 9, 10. t 1 Pet. I. i See on Rom.'i. 7. 20. See on Rom. 16. 25, 26.
The rest 3. dt i Thef 2. 4. : i Tim. will I set in order when I come. 1.11. See on Gal. 2. 7.
† Acts 14. 23. See on I Tim. > e. 1 Tim. 2. 3. ... I Tim.
4 5. I.
: 1 Cor. 11.34.
(1) This Place is better rendred thus, Before antient Times, or, Befoe the Times of the Jewish Ages. For before the World began there were nu Men to whom this Promise could be made. Dr. Lightfoot remarks, that God promised Eternal Life before the Mesaic Oeconomy, or Difpenfation ; that Life therefore is not to be expected by the Law of Mofos. See the Nose on 2 Tim. 1.9.
* If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children, not accused of riot, or unruly. 7. For a bithop must be blameless, as the ofteward of God; not felfwilled, not soon angry, P not given to wine, no ftriker, 9 not given to filthy lucre; 8. But a " lover of hospitality, a lover of good * men [Or, things], sober, just, holy, temperate; 2. Holding fast the s faithful word, * as he hath been taught [Or, in teaching], that he may be able by u found doctrine, both to exhort and to convince the gainifayers. 10. For there are many unruly and a vain talkers and deceivers especially they of the circumcifion : 11.Whose mouths must be stopped, who b subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, fore filthy lucrés fake. 12. ^ One of themselves, even a (1) prophet of their owi, laid, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beafts, flow bellies. 13. This witnels is true: wherefore e rebuke them sharply, that they may be found in the faith; 14: Not giving heed to f Jewish fables, and i commandments of men, that turn
6. m fi Tim. 3. 2, 10. A Bishop
Tim. 1, 10. then must be blameless, the Husband 10. a fi Tim. 1.6. From which of one Wite, vigilant, fober, &c. some having swerved, have turned Let these also first be proved ; then, alide to vain-jangling let them use the Office of a Dea- 5 1.!+ 2 Tim. 3. 6. See on Mat. con, being found blamelifs.
23. 14. :Tim. 3. 4, 12. One that cti Tim. 6. ruleth well his own House, having 3. 19. his Children in subjection with all 12. d + Acts 17. 28. -As cergravity. Let the Deacons be the sotain alfo of your own Poets have Ilusband of one Wife, ruling their said. Children, and their own Houfes 13. • Ifa. 58. 1. Cry aloud, sport well.
not, lift up thy Voice like a Trum7. o See on i Cor.4.1, 2.
per, and sheve my People their Trarl† Lev. Jc.9. See on 1 Tim. 15 greffion, and the Houfe of Jacob 3. 3.
their fios. :: 2 Cor. 13. 10. 1 I t 1 Pet. 5. 2.
See on i Tim. write these things being abfent, 3. 3.
left being present, I should use tharpe 8. 1 Tim:
Given to ness2 Tim. 4. 2. Reprove, hospitality.-
20 buke, exhort.-- Tit. 2.15. --Rebuku 9. s.+ 1 Tim. 6. 3. † 2 Tim. I. with all authority. Id. :: 2 Tim. 2. 2. + 2 Tim. 4.
ft i Tim. 4. 7. See on i 3. † Tit. 2. 1.
; Mat. 15. 9. See on Col. u :: 1 Tim. 6. 3.
See on 1 252. 22. (1) The Person here cited by the Apostle was Epimenides, one of the Heathen Poers, fome of which pretended to Prophesie. He is mere tioned as a Divine, a Propher, &c. by several antient Writers.