« FöregåendeFortsätt »
we being i dead to fin, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 25. For ye were as sheep going k aftray; but are now returned unto the! Shepherd and bishop of your souls.
CH A P. IU.
in own husbands; that if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives, 2. While they behold your chafte conversation coupled with fear. 3. - Whole adorning, let it not be that outward adorning, of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel : 4. But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the fight of God of great price. 5. For after this manner in the f old time, the holy women also who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands; 6. Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him 5 lord: whose * daughters [Gr. children] ye are as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement. 7. Likewise ye h husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife as unto the i weaker vessel, and as being heirs together oi the grace of life ; * that your prayers be not hindred.
B b 2
* Rom. 7. 6. See on Rom. 6. 2.
ef Pfal. 45. 13. The Kings 25. k Pfal. 119. 176. I have gone Daughter is all glorious within ; altray like a loft Sheep. —- Jer. 50.6. her clothing is of wrought Gold. My People hath been lojt Sheep:- st Rom. 2. 29.
st Rom. 2. 29. t 2 Cor. 4. 16., + Ifa. 53. 6. All we like Sheep See on Rom. 7. 22: have gone astray : we have turned 5. f Deut. 32. 7. Remember the every one to his own way. Days of old, consider the Years of
It Ezek. 34. 23. † Ezek. 37. many Generacions. 24. † Heb. 13. 20. See on Joh. 10 6. Et Gen. 18. 12. - 11y Lord
being old also. CHA P. III.
of Eph. 5.25. † Col. 3. 19 2 : 1 Cor. 14. 34. t Eph. s. See on 1 Cor. 7. 3. 22. + Col. 3. 18.
Tit. 2. 5.
Thef. 4. 4. That every See on i Cor. II 3.
150ne' of you should know how to bt i Cor. 7.16. | Mat. 18.15. poffefs his vesel in Sanctifi:ation of 1 Cor. 9. 19, 22. See on Rom. and honour.
+ Job 42. 8. † Mat. 13. 19 1 Pet. 2. 12.
See on Mat. 5. 23, 24. . † Tit. 2. 3. See on i Tim. 20
8. Finally, be
all of one mind, having m compaffion one of another, n * love as (Or, loving to the] brethren, be pitiful, be courteous : 9. Not rendring evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise, blessing; knowing P that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherită blessing. 10. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak 10 guile. 1. Let him ' eschew evil, and do good; let him s seek peace, and ensue it.
12. For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are a open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is * against [Gr. upon] them that do evil. 13. And
who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good ? 14. But and if ye : suffer for righteousness sake, happy are ye : and be not afraid of their
terror, 8. ' † Rom. 12. 16. † Rom. 15. have they feared nor walked in my s. f Phil. 3. 16. See on Joh. Law, nor in my Statutes that I see 17. II.
Therefore thus in See on Col. 3:12.
faith the Lord of Hosts, the God of n See on Joh. 13• 34,
s Ifrael, Behold, I will set my Face A: 9. • Prov. 20, 22. Rom. gainst you for evil.- Amos 9.4. .17. ti Thef. s. 15. See on Mat. Though they go into Captivity be. 5. 39.
fore their Enemies, thence will I P of Mat. 25. 34. Come ye bler command the Sword, and it hall fed of my Father, inherit the kingo 10 slay them, and I will set mine Eyes dom prepared for you from the upon them for evil, and not for Foundation of the World. 1 Tim. good. 48 --Godliness is profitable un 13. c Prov. 16.7. When a Mans to all things, having the Promise of Ways please the Lord, he maketh the Life that now is, and of that
even his Enemies to be at peace with which is to come.
bim. : Tab. 12. 7.- Do that 10.9 + Pfal. 34. 13. See on which is good, and no evil thall Jam, 1, 26.
+ Pfal. 37. 27. ' † Ifa. 1. 14. ^ + Mat. 5. 10, 11, 12. :/ 16. -3 Joh. ver. 11. See on Rom 20 Pet. 2: 19. :i Pec. 4. 14. See 12. 9.
on Heb. 11. 26. s See on Mar. 9. 50.
e** Ifa. 8. 12,13. -Neither fear : 12.” Psal, 34, 15, 16. Job 36. ye their fear,nor be afraid. San&i7. He withdraweth not his Eyes from fie the Lord of Hofts himse!f, and the Righteous. Pfal. 33. 18. Be- 25 let him be your fear, and let him hold the Eye of the Lord is upon be your dread. † Jer. 1. 8. Be not them that fear him: upon them afraid of their Faces: for I am thac hope in his mercy. Rom. 8. with thee to deliver thee faith che :28. We know that all things work Lord. Joh. 14. 27. Peace I leave together for good to them that love 3o'with you, my Peace I give unto God
you : not as the World givesti, 2 See on Joh. 9-31.
give I unto you,
Let, not yout & Jer. 44. 10, il. They are not Heart be troubled, neither let it be humbled unto this Dey, neither
terror, neither be troubled ; 15. But fanctifie the Lord God in your hearts : and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a realon of the hope that is in you, with 8 meekness and * fear [Or, reve
16. h Having a good conscience; that whereas they speak evil of you, as of evil doers, they may be afhamed that falsly accuse your good conversation in Chrift. 17. For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well-doing, than for evil-doing. 18. For Christ also hath I once luifered for fins, the just for the unjust, (that he might bring us to God) * being put to death'in the flesh, but quickned by the Spirit: 19. By which also he went and 1 preached unto the (1) spirits in pri
Tim. $. 14
15.$ f Pfal. 119. 46. I will speak' Works, yet now hath he reconciof thy Testimonies also before Kings, led, in the Body of his Flesh through and will not be ashamed. + Ads Death, to present you holy, and 4:8,&c. -Ye Rulers of the Peo- unblameable, and unreproveable in ple, and Men of Israel, If we this s his light. Day be examined of the good Deed 19. m Pfal. 68.18. --Thou hast. done to the impotent Man, by led Captivity Captive. Ifa. 42.6. what means he is made whole
- [I will give thee for a' Cobe it known unto you, '&c. ; Col. 4. venant of The People, for a Light 6. Let your speech be alway with roof the Gentiles. Ifa. 49. 9. That Grace, seafoned with Salt, that ye thou may st say to the Prisoners, may know how ye ought to answer ev Go forth; to them that are in Very Man.
Darkness, Shew your felves. -- Ifa. See on 2 Tim. 2.25.
61: 1. The Spirit of the Lord 16. b f' Pet. 2. 12. See on 115 God is upon me, because he hath
to proclaim Libera 18. 1 + Rom. 5. 6. + Heb. 9. ty to the Captives, and the opening 26, 28. .:: 1 Pet. 2. 21. See on of the Prison to them that are
bound. ' Ats 10. 36. T Preaching * † Rom. i. 4. Declared to be go Peace by Jesus Christ. Afts 14:27. the Son of God with Power, ac -They rehearfed all that God had cording to the Spirit of holiness, done with them, and how he had by the Resurrection of the Dead. opened the Door of Faith to the Gene * 2 Cor. 13. 4. Though he was tiles. Eph. 2. 17. And came and crucified through Weakness, yet he 25 preached Peace to you which were liveth by the Power of God.ro afar off, and to them that were
1: Col. 1. 21, 22. You that nigh"; 1 Pet. 1, 12, ti Per were sometimes alienated, and E. nemies in your Mind by wicked
(1) The most probable Interpretation of this difficult Place, seems to be that of those, who, by the Spirits in Prison, understand those wicked People who lived in the Days of Noah, who were inflaved to, and as it were imprisoned by their L:Rs. To these people, Christ, by his Spirit, inspired that just Man to p:cach Repentance and Reformation, offering
son; 20. Which sometime were disobedient, " when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the • Ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved * by [Or, from] water.
21. The like figure whereunto, even ? Baptism doth also now fave us, (not the putting away of the filth of the Flesh, ' but the answer of a good conscience towards God) by the resurrection of Jesus Chrift: 22. Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God, angels, and authorities, and powers' being made subject unto him.
20. n of Gen: 6.3;13. The Lord entred Noah, and Shem, and Hom, said, My Spirit shall not always strive and Japheth, the Sons of Noah, and with Man,' for that he also is. Noahs Wife, and the three Wives Flesh: yer his Days shall be an: of his Sons with them into the hundred and i wenty Years. God faid. s Ark. + Gen. 8.18. Noah went forth, unto Noah, The end of all Flesh and his Sons, and his wife, and his is come before me'; for the Earth Sons Wives with him. † 2 Pet. 3.5. is filled with Violence through And spared not the old World, them: and behold I will destroy
will destroy but saved Noah the eighth Person, a them with the Earth.
10 preacher of Righteousness, bring, o + Heb. 11. 7. By Faith, Noahing in the Flood upon the World being warned of God of things of the Ungdly. Lot feen as yet, moved with fear, 21. ? r Eph. 5. 26. °: Tit. prepared an Ark to the saving of his See on Joh. 3. 3,5. House.-
Rom. 1o. 15
10. With the P Gen.7. 1, 7, 13. The Lord Heart Man believeth unto Righfaid unto Noah, Come thou and all teousness, and with the Mouth shy House into the Ark.--. Noah confeflion is made unto Sala went in, and his Sons, and his wife, vacion. and his Sons Wives with him, into 20 22. s t Psal.
, 110. 1. Eph. 1. 20. the Ark, because of the Waters of See on Mat. 22.44. the Flood. In the self fame Day u See on Rom. 8 38.
them Pardon if they would repent ; to which end they had the Space of an hundred and twenty Years allowed them. They were witbal afsured, that if they did not repent and amend, they should all, as condemned Prisoners, be destroyed by the waters of the Flood which ac cordingly came to país, they continuing obstinate and unreformed. But Noah and his family, consisting of eight Perfons, being free from those abominable Vices the rest of Mankind were guilty of, were, by the Ark, saved out of, or from the Water.
с н H A P.
A P. IV. TOR ASMUCH then as Chrift hath a suffered
for us in the flesh, arm your felves likewise with the fame mind: for it he that hath suffered in the flesh, hath cea fed from fin; 2. That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh, to the lufts of men, to the will of God. 3. For the time past of our life may & fuffice us to have fwrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lafcivioufnels, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 4. Wherein they think it ftrange that you run not with them to the fame ( excess of riot, h 1peaking evil of ycu: 5. Who Mall give account to him that is ready to judge the k quick and the dead. 6. For, for this cause was the Gospel' preached also to them that are(1) dead, that they might be judged aecording to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the Spirit.
I. : 1 Pet. 3.18. See on Heb. your Exaétions from my People, 7.27.
faith the Lord God. ; Acts 17. ó See on Rom. 6.2, 4.
30. The Times of this ignorance God | Rom. 54.7. + Gal. 2. winked at ; but now commandeth all 20. ; ; Pet. 2. 1. See on Rom. s Men every where to repent. II.
† † Eph. 4. 17. : Tit. 3. 3. Joh. 1. 13. Which were See on i Cor. 6.11. born not of Blood, nor of the 4. 8 Ifa. 8. 18. Behold, I and Will of the Flefl, nor of the Will the Children whom the Lord hath of Man, but of God. ::Jam. 1.18.10 given me, are for Signs, and WonOf his own Wil bégat he us with
ders in Ifrael. the Word of Truth
ht Acts 18. 6. See on A&ts 13. 3. o.f Ezek. 44, 6. -Thus faitle
45. the Lord God, Oye House of If.
i See on A&S 10.42. rael, Let it Suffice you of all your A-15
t 1 Cor. 15. 51. Behold, I bominations. t Ezek. 45.9. Thus
shew you a Mystery ; We shall saith the Lord God, Let it Suffice
not all fleep, but we shall all be you, O Princes of Israel: remove changed. Violence and Spoil, and execute
6. See on Joh. 5. 25. and on Judyment and Justice, take away 20 1 Pet. 3. 19.
(1) This Word is, I conceive, to be understood not in a proper, but in a figurative Senfe: And then it stands for chofe dead in Sin. Some think it refers to those mentioned in the 19th Verse of the former Chapter ; others, that it takes in the whole Gentile or Heathen World, whom St. Paul speaks of as dead in Trefpaffes and Sins. The Gospel was preached to them, ihat they might be judged, or might judge, condemn, and oppose their former Lifé, led according to Men, not enlightned by the Gospel, in the Fl.lh, but might live acq.rding to God in, or by the Allistance of