« FöregåendeFortsätt »
24. Mar. xiii. 24. But in those Days, after that Tribulation, the Sun shall be darkened, and the Moon shall not give her light.
25. And the Stars of Heaven shall fall, and the Powers that are in Heaven shall be shaken.
26. And then shall they see the Son of Man coming in the Clouds, with great Power and Glory,
27. And then shall he send his Angels, and shall gather together his Elect, from the four Winds, from the uttermoft Part of the Earth, to the uttermost part of Heaven.
28. Luke xviii. 8. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man cometh, shall he find Faith on the Earth?
Conftitut. vi. 18. Of whom saith the Lord, when the Son of Man comes, shall he find Faith on the Earth
Luke xxi. 24. And the Jews shall fall by the Edge of the Sword ; and shall be led away Captive into all Nations; and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the Times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
25. And there shall be Signs in the Sun, and in the Moon, and in the Stars ; and upon the Earth Distress of Nations, with Perplexity ; the Sea and the Waves roring.
26. Mens Hearts failing them for Fear, and for looking after thofe Things that are coming on the Earth; for the Powers of Heaven shall be fhaken.
27. And then shall they see the Son of Man coming in a Cloud, with Power and
27. And when these Things begin to come to pass, then look up, and life up your Heads, for your Redemption draweth nigh.
Constitut, vii. 32. In the last Days false Prophets shall be multiplied, and such as corrupt the Word ; and the Sheep shall be changed into Wolves, and Love into Hatred ; for through the abounding of Iniquity, the Love of many shall wax cold; for many shall hate, and persecute, and betray one another, [as before, Pag. 24. 26.) And then shall appear the Deceiver of the World, the Enemy of the Truth, the Prince of Lies, [Antichrift ;] whom the Lord Jesus Thall destroy with the Spirit of his Mouth, who takes away the Wicked with his Lips: And many shall be offended at him : But they that endure to the End the same shall be saved. Then shall appear the Sign of the Son of Man in Heaven ; and afterward shall be the Voice of a Trumpet, by the Archangel. And in that Interval shall be the Revival of those that were asleep, [at the first Resurrection perhaps.) And then shall the Lord come, and all his holy ones with him, with a great Concussion, above the Clouds, with the Angels of his Power, and the Throne of his Kingdom, (to the general Judgment perhaps,] &c.
N. B. But now give me Leave to add to these Signals out of the other Books of the New Testa. ment, a most remarkable Prediction of St. John's in his Revelation.
Apoc. xi. 13. And the same Hour (viz. upon the i Ascension of the two Witnesses) was there a great Earthquake, and the tenth Part of the City fell; and in the Earthquake were Nain Names of Men feven Thousand ; and the Remnant were affrighted, and gave Glory to the God of Heaven. Apoc. xi. 13.
14. The second Woe (or sixth Trumpet].is past; and the third Woe (or seventh Trumper) cometh quickly.
Now the principal Events here foretold by our Bleffed Saviour, as Prior to, or accompanying the Restoration of the Jews, are these following.
77. That the Prophet Elijah himself, Elijah the Tislite shall come to restore all Things to their original Purity; or, in the Words of the Father of Sirach, to restore the Tribes of Israel. Ecclus. xlviii. 10. Perhaps to call Home the ten Tribes, and convert them to original Judaism, and conduct them to Judea, to join them to the two Tribes, already perhaps by that Time arrived there ; nay, perhaps to direct them all in the rebuilding of their Temple, and settling them according to their Disposition in Ezekiel, &c.
78. That the Jews were to fall by the Edge of the Sword :
79. That they were to be led away Captives to all Nations :
80. That Jerusalem should be trodden down of the Gentiles.
81. Till the Times of the Gentiles be fulfilled, or till after the 1260 Years of the Gentile Times be over. See Essay on the Revelation, Pag. 233.
This is to end the long Tribulations of those Days ; immediately after which were to be expected,
82. Signs in the Sun, which was to be darkened ;
83. Signs in the Moon, which was not to give ber Light;
84. Signs in the Stars, which were to fall from Heaven,
85. The next Signal is this, that the Powers of Heaven shall be shaken.
86. The next Signal is this, Upon the Earth : fall be Distress of Nations, with Perplexity:
87. It is foretold, that in these last Days many fall run too and fro, and Knowledge, or Learning, sball be increased. Dan. xii. 4.
88. It is foretold, that there should be great Storms at Sea : The Sea and the Waves roaring,
89. It is foretold, that, in Consequence of so ma
ny terrible Judgments already begun, or soon ap1
proaching, Mens Hearts should fail them for Fear, and for looking after those Things that are coming on the Earth.
go. The next Signal is, the Appearance of the Sign of the Son of Man in Heaven; or such a Cross, I suppose, cho' perhaps more awful and solemn, as appeared to Conftantine the Great, and prefigured his Victories, and occasioned his Establishment of Christianity in the Roman Empire.
91. The next of these Signals, or rather grand Conclusion of all the foregoing Signals, is the visible Coming of the Son of Man in the Clouds of Heaven, with great Power and Glory ; together with the Voice of a Trumpet, already mentioned ; and with
the first Resurrection, that of the Martyrs or Saints, both Jews and Christians. Pag. 26. priùs.
N. B. I have added here, from the Revelation of St. John xi. 13. in the 92d Place, an Account of a distinct Great Earthquake, in some very considerable City, wherein the tenth Part of the City is soon to fall, and wherein seven thousand Names of Men, Men of Name and Note, are to be pain; when, and the very first Time in the whole Book of the Revelation when God's terrible Judgments 'then denounc'd, and already accomplished, had their proper Effect: The remaining Citizens being affrighted, and giving Glory to the God of Heaven. What City I apprehend this to be, (London, J and the strong Reasons I go upon in that Apprehension, the Reader may find in the N. B. at the End of the Additional Sheet to the fecond Edition of my Ejay on the Revelation, just published; which Sheet, which most important Sheet, will be given gratis to those that have already bought that Edition, and without which Sheet no more Copies will be sold of that Book hereafter.
And now, for a Conclusion, let us produce a few Signals out of those Parts of the Sibylline Oracles, written much earlier than the Days of Christ, which I have fully proved to be genuine, and to be Branches of divine Revelation for the Heathen World; and out of which I formerly selected these, as belonging to the Times now under Considera