« FöregåendeFortsätt »
OFFICE FOR THE LAYING OF THE CORNER
STONE OF A CHURCH OR CHAPEL.
The Minister officiating will begin the service with the Salutation :
Grace be unto you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. AMEN.
After which he will say:
DEARLY BELOVED: We are here assembled in the name of the Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, to lay the corner-stone of a house to be erected to His honor and service, and praise. Within its walls His Holy Name is to be worshipped, His Holy Gospel is to be preached, and His Holy Sacraments administered. Knowing that our help is the name of the Lord Who made heaven and earth, let us lift up our hearts unto Him in humble supplication for His blessing.
O Almighty God, Who hast built Thy Church upon the foundation of the Apostles and Prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the Chief Cornerstone ; direct us in this our undertaking with Thy most gracious favor, and further us with Thy continual help, that all our work being begun, continued, and ended in Thee, we may glorify Thy Holy Name; and finally, by Thy mercy, obtain everlasting life through Jesus Christ our Lord. AMEN.
Then shall be chanted or read responsively from the Scriptures of the Old Tou
1. His foundation is in the holy mountains.
2. THE LORD LOVETH THE GATES OF ZION MORE THAN ALL THE DWELLINGS OF JACOB.
3. Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God.
4. I WILL MAKE MENTION OF RAHAB AND BABYLON TO THEM THAT KNOW ME: BEHOLD PHILISTIA AND TYRE, WITH ETHIOPIA: THIS MAN WAS BORN THERE.
5. And of Zion it shall be said, This and that man was born in her: and the Highest Himself shall establish her.
6. THE LORD SHALL COUNT, WHEN HE WRITETH UP THE PEOPLE THAT THIS MAN WAS BORN THERE.
7. As well the singers as the players on instruments shall be there : all my springs are in Thee.
And from the Scriptures of the New Testament, shall be read :
IST EPISTLE OF PETER 2:1-9. 1. WHEREFORE, laying aside all malice, and aļl
guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil. speakings,
2. As new-born babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby :
3. If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gra. cious:
4. To Whom coming, as unto a Living Stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious :
5. Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
6. Wherefore also, it is contained in the scripture: Behold, I lay in Sion a Chief Corner-stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on Him shall not be confounded.
7. Unto you therefore which believe, He is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the Head of the corner,
8. And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient; whereunto also they were appointed.
9. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him who hath call ed you out of darkness into His marvelous light.
Then, any such historical or descriptive document as may have been prepared
to be deposited in the Corner-stone may be read, and the stone having been Aet i its place, the Minister, laying his hand upon it, or striking it thrico vit) i mallet, shall say:
I lay the Corner-stone of a house to be erected, and devoted to the service of Almighty God; in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. AMEN.
Other foundation can no man lay than that is laid which is Jesus Christ.
Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.
Then shall be repeated, in anison, the Apostle's Creed.
I BELIEVE IN GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, MAKER OF HEAVEN AND EARTH ;
AND IN JESUS CHRIST HIS ONLY SON OUR LORD WHO WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY GHOST; BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY; SUFFERED UNDER PONTIUS PilaTE; WAS CRUCIFIED, DEAD AND BURIED; HE DESCENDED INTO HELL* ;THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD; HE ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN; AND SITTETH AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY; FROM THENCE HE SHALL COME TO JUDGE THE QUICK AND THE DEAD.
I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY GHOST; THE HOLY CATHOLIC CHURCH, THE COMMUNION OF SAINTS ; THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS ; THE RESURRECTION OF THE BODY; AND THE LIFE EVERLASTING. AMEN.
After which may be sung a hymn. Then may follow an
After which shall be offered the concluding prayer :
BLESSED be Thy Name, O Lord, that it hath pleased Thee to put it into the hearts of Thy ser
Instead of the word Heil may be used the word Hades.
vants to comnience the erection of a house, in which Thy Name is to be worshipped, the Glad Tidings of salvation proclaimed, and Thy Holy Sacraments administered. Prosper them, O Lord, in this their undertaking. Keep and preserve by Thy providence unto the end, the work, which is now begun in Thy fear. Excite the skill and animate the industry of the workmen. Shield them from accident and danger. And grant unto them, and unto all of us here present, the influences of Thy Divine Spirit, so that we may become in soul and body, living temples of the Holy Ghost, and be prepared for that eternal city which hath foundations, whose Builder and Maker is God. All which we ask through the abundant merits of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee and the Holy Ghost, ever One God, world without end.
OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN, HALLOWED BE THY NAME: THY KINGDOM COME: THY WILL BE DONE IN EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN : GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD: AND FORGIVE US OUR DEBTS, AS WE FORGIVE OUR DEBTORS: AND LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION, BUT DELIVER US FROM EVIL: FOR THINE IS THE KINGDOM, AND THE POWER, AND THE GLORY, FOR EVER. AMEN.