« FöregåendeFortsätt »
OFFICE FOR THE DEDICATION OF A HOUSE
The usual Order of Service for the Lord's Day having been observed unth after the reading of the Commandments, the following Lessons from Holy Scrip tare shall then be read :
1.–FROM THE PSALTER
The Minister and People reading responsively.
Psalm XXIV. The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
FOR HE HATH FOUNDED IT UPON THE SEAS, AND ESTABLISHED IT UPON THE FLOODS.
Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in His holy place?
HE THAT HATH CLEAN HANDS, AND A PURE HEART; WHO HATH NOT LIFTED UP HIS SOUL UNTO VANITY, NOR SWORN DECEITFULLY.
He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
THIS IS THE GENERATION OF THEM THAT SEEK HIM, THAT SEEK THY FACE, O JACOB, SELAH,
Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lifted up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
WHO IS THIS KING OF GLORY? THE LORD STRONG AND MIGHTY, THE LORD MIGHTY IN BATTLE.
Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlast. ing doors ; and the King of glory shall come in.
WHO IS THIS KING OF GLORY? THE LORD OF HOSTS, HB IS THE KING OF GLORY
1. LORD, remer.ber David, and all his afflictions :
2. HOW HE SWARE UNTO THE LORD, AND VOWED UNTO THE MIGHTY GOD OF JACOB;
3. Surely I will not come into the tabernacle of my house, nor go up
my 4. I WILL NOT GIVE SLEEP TO MINE EYES, OR SLUMBER TO MINE EYELIDS,
5. Until I find out a place for the LORD, a habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.
6. LO, WE HEARD OF IT AT EPHRATAH: WE FOUND IT IN THE FIELDS OF THE WOOD.
7. We will go into His tabernacles; we will worship at His footstool.
8. ARISE, O LORD, INTO THY REST: THOU, AND THE ARK OF THY STRENGTH.
9. Let Thy priests be clothed with righteousness; and let Thy saints shout for joy.
10. FOR THY SERVANT DAVID'S SAKE TURN NOT AWAY THE FACE OF THINE ANOINTED.
11. The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David : He will not turn from it; Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne.
12. IF THY CHILDREN WILL KEEP MY COVENANT AND MY TESTIMONY THAT I SHALL TEACH THEM, THEIR CHILDREN SHALL ALSO SIT UPON THY THRONE FOR EVERMORE.
13. For the Lord hath chosen Zion; He hath desired it for His habitation.
14. THIS IS MY REST FOR EVER: HERE WILL I DWELL FOR I HAVE DESIRED IT.
15. I will abundantly bless her provision; I will satisfy her poor with bread.
16. I WILL ALSO CLOTHE HER PRIESTS WITH SALVATION, AND HER SAINTS SHALL SHOUT ALOUD FOR JOY.
17. There will I make the horn of David to bud : I have or. dained a lamp for Mine anointed.
18. HIS ENEMIES WILL I CLOTHE WITH SHAME. BUT UPON HIMSELF SHALL HIS CROWN FLOURISH.
II.--FROM THE OLD TESTAMENT:
Exod. 40: 17–38; or, 1 Kings, 9:1-9.
III.-FROM THE NEW TESTAMENT :
Heb. 13 : 10-21 ; or, Rev. 21:10–27.
Then the Minister shall say :
DEARLY BELOVED IN THE LORD: God our Heavenly Father, having in His grace, which is in Jesus Christ our Lord, brought to its consummation our work of preparing a house for His worship, and the honor of His Holy Name; within whose walls His Holy Gospel is to be truly preached and His Holy Sacraments are to be faithfully administered; we are now gathered in His Holy presence for the purpose of devoting it by a solemn act of worship to its proper and sacred use. you, therefore, to arise, and before the Lord, to unite in this act of dedication, confessing first, devoutly, our holy faith.
I call upon
The people uniting audibly with the Minister.
I BELIEVE IN GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, MAKER OF HEAVEN AND EARTH;
AND IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY SON, OUR LORD; WHO WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY GHOST; BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY; SUFFERED UNDER PONTIUS PILATE; WAS CRUCIFIED, DEAD AND BURIED; HE DESCENDED INTO HELL THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD; HE AS
* Instead of the word Hell may be used the word Hades,
CENDED INTO HEAVEN, AND SITTETH AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY: FROM THENCE HE SHALL COME TO JUDGE THE QUICK AND THE DEAD.
I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY GHOST; THE HOLY CATHOLIC CHURCH, THE COMMUNION OF SAINTS; THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS; THE RESURRECTION OF THE BODY; AND THE LIFE EVERLASTING. AMEN.
Then the Minister shall offer the
PRAYER OF DEDICATION.
The People aniting andibly in the responses, which are printed in small capi tala
HOLY, HOLY, HOLY, LORD GOD ALMIGHTY, Who art, and wast, and art to come, the whole earth is full of Thy.glory! Thine, O Lord, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty ; for all that is in the heaven and in the carth is Thine. Now, therefore, we thank Thee, O God, and praise Thy glorious Name.
But who are we, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? For all things come of Thee, and of Thine own do we give Thee. O Lord our God, all this store that we have prepared to build Thee an house for Thine Holy Name, cometh of Thine hand and is all Thine own.
Now behold, O Lord our God, and look unto this place where we are gathered in Thy Name : and have respect to the prayer of Thy servants and to their supplication, to hearken unto the cry and the prayer that thy servants pray before Thee this day, to take this house for Thine Own.
Holy, Blessed, and Glorious Trinity, Three Persons in One God,
TO THEE WE DEDICATE IT. Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Our Father Who art in Heaven,
TO THEE WE DEDICATE IT. Son of God, the Only Begotten of the Father, Head of the Body, which is the Church; Head over all things to the Church ; Prophet, Priest and King of Thy people,
TO THEE WE DEDICATE IT. God the Holy Ghost, proceeding from the Father and the Son; given to be our abiding Teacher, Sanctifier, and Comforter;. Lori' and Giver of Life,
TO THEE WE DEDICATE IT. Arise, O Lord, into Thy rest, Thou and the ark of Thy strength. Let Thy priests be clothed with righteousness, and let Thy people shout for joy. Put Thy Name in this place. Sanctify it by Thy presence and Thy constant abiding. Give power and efficacy to Thy Gospel preached in it, and Thy Sacraments administered in it. Let Thine eyes be opened towards it; and hearken unto the supplications of Thy people when they pray in this place, and hear Thou in Heaven Thy dweilingplace, and when Thou hearest, forgive. And from this outer court of Thy Holy Sanctuary bring Thy people and their children into the true tabernacle which the Lord pitched, and not man; the heavenly temple, of which the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are tine light. We ask and offer all in the