« FöregåendeFortsätt »
THE VENETIANS RETIRE,
with diamonds; and he rode on a horse, upon which were precious stones in abundance. And four of them who see his face followed him, and his councillors, and his nobles, and about two thousand men, Turks, all men of valor; and their voice was not heard ; and they went on their way unto the camp.
813. And they came to Adrianople on the twenty-fourth day of the month with gladness and merry hearts, and they remained there nine days : there spake unto the sultan the messengers of Ferdinand, king of Hungary; and he honored them much, and they returned unto their country.
814. Also the messengers of Sofi spake unto him the second time, and they returned unto their own country; and the king sent some Turks to accompany them, and honored them much.
815. And Solyman removed on the second day of the month of June, and he went in four days unto Sophia, and they encamped there. And the messengers of Venice said unto him, “ Dismiss us our Lord, O king, for it will be no honor unto us to go with thee in the way in which thou goest, for these thine enemies are uncircumcised like unto us.” And he sent them from him, and they returned unto their own country. And they removed from Sophia, and went three days' journey, reaching unto Nitzi* ; and they abode there several days.
SOLYMAN AT BELGRADE.
And one said unto Solyman, “ Behold, the woywode of Transsylvania cometh to thee;" and he sent Zinzino Pasha to meet him, and many nobles and honorable men, and two thousand horsemen; and he honored him much. And the woywode came and bowed before Solyman unto the ground, and saluted him, and went from him in peace. And they removed from Nitzi and went unto Tush*, which is by Belgrade, and they encamped there. And Solyman came unto Belgrade on the twentyfourth of the month of June, and they received him with gladness. And they made the likeness of gatest in the streets of the town, and the people of the country were very glad. And all the men of the host removed, and went eastward of Buda, and Ibrahim Pasha also followed them, and thirty thousand horsemen with him. After them followed the king and the nobles, and the people who were with him; and they went also to Buda, and encamped there; and the king sent on the second day of the month of July, Aliondante Galzaaf, unto the king of Poland to make a covenant with him, for he had heard the report of the emperor Charles, and there was not done any thing with him; and also to Tartary he sent to hire thirty thousand horsemen; but he would not hearken.
* wu. + i.e. Triumphal arches.
COMBINATION AGAINST SOLYMAN.
And the number of the soldiers whom Solyman brought with him, were three hundred thousand men, and thirty thousand bearers of burdens and tillers of the ground*. And of all the languages of the uncircumcised, there went with him about eight thousand men, and in the midst of them four hundred Italians, all men of valor: and he loved them much.
816. And when the emperor heard it, he went to Ratisbon, and gathered a host, also horsemen in Italy and Germany, and he went the way of the river Danube in ships unto Lientz; and he abode there several days. And he removed thence, and went the way of the river unto Vienna before they came, and spake unto his brother the king of Hungary; and Antonio Leyva  went thither also, with the rest of the princes of the host, and they fortified themselves. And they gathered all the men of battle, and his camp increased much. And they encamped in Vienna, and its environs, in those days. And most of the nobles of Italy and Germany, and the pope, and the Venetians, helped the emperor; but the king of France helped him not in that war.
817. Then Andrea Doria, by the emperor's command, prepared seamen to fight against the
* 1980 'yw, probably miners.
EXPLOSION AT GENOA-A. M. 5292.
ships of Solyman, which were in the Grecian sea, to bring him back from Hungary; for his fear had fallen upon them*. And the hand of the Lord was upon Genoa at that time. And a fire was kindled in the gunpowder which was near the palace, and the houses which were round about fell down; and the whole city was shaken because of themt. And there died under the ruins about twenty-five souls of men, besides those who were slain on that day, which was the third dayt, on the second of the month of July two hundred and ninety-two, and the men of the city were greatly astonishedş; it was not known who kindled it.
818. And Andrea Doria, by command of the emperor and of the pope, departed from Genoa with all his ships, at the end of the fifth months, and went to Sicily to carry off the soldiers whom they had hired there for marching. They thence departed, and went to Greece, and during several days besieged Coron, which is on the uttermost part of the borders of Greece. And the Turks who were in the midst thereof delivered it into his hand, on the day of Hosanna Rabbas, of the year two hundred * Est. ix. 23. + Ruth i. 19. I WSVI DV, i. e. Tuesday. $ Gen. xliii. 53.
|| Ab, i. e. August. q an 7Y017, the 21st of September, the last day of the Feast of Tabernacles, next in importance to the OR OW, or Day of Atonement. The name originated from the word 72win salva quæso, at the commencement of most prayers for that day.
and ninety-three; and they made a covenant with them ; and there were saved by that covenant the Turks only with their children, and all their goods; and there, at that time, the Jews were given up to be plundered; and because of their sins, they went captive before the oppressor*, and there was no deliverer for them; and this cruel oppressor divided them among the troops. According to the deeds of his hand, requite him, O Lord!
819. They went also to Patras, and took it, and took great spoil, and cannons in multitudes. And the Jews also, of whom there was a great congregation in that place, went captive on that day before the oppressor. And some of them were ransomed in Zante, but the rest were sold for slaves and handmaidens, into Sicily, Naples, and Genoa; and into all places whither the fleet went : some of them the congregation of Italy ransomed for the full money. May the Lord remember this to them for good, and plead their cause!
820. Also to Avellinot went those sinful meni to make spoil; and there went out against them the men of the city, Turks and uncircumcised, and slew them with the edge of the sword; and there fell there about three hundred men. And the rest were gathered into the ships; and their life * Lam. i. 5.
tiga boy8. # Andrea Doria and his men.