Sidor som bilder

work at the prevailing prices, viz., twenty-three and twenty-five cents per thousand feet; the money earned to be divided among them equally. This proposition met with the approval of all parties to the conference, but the president of the Lumber Shovers' Protective Union announced that he could not accept it until it had been submitted to the executive committee of the union. At his request, a recess was taken until 9 o'clock p. m.; at which time Mr. Cramer, on behalf of the Lumber Shovers' Protective Union, and Mr. Fassett, on behalf of the Lumber Dealers' Association, agreed to the proposed terms of settlement. The strike was then declared off, and the lumber shovers resumed work the next day.


New York.

On the twenty-third of March the union machinists and framers employed in a shop at One Hundred and Eighth street and First avenue went on strike, in order to secure complete recognition of their unions. On the fourth of April the strike was extended by calling out some other union workmen who had been waiting for directions from their organizations. On the tenth of April the proprietor of the shop acceded to the demands of his employes and the strike was declared off.



On the seventh of December, 1891, a representative of a local assembly of the Knights of Labor waited upon a malting company in Brooklyn and requested them to increase the wages of their employes from thirteen to fifteen dollars per week; to limit the hours of labor to ten hours per day or pay double rates for all overtime; and to agree to certain other conditions of employment. The company refused to comply with these requests, and thirteen maltsters went on strike. Other men were employed to take their places, and the company continued business without interruption.


New York.

On the second of August about eighty-five messenger boys who were employed in an office of the American District Telegraph Company, at No. 9 New street, went on strike. The boys complained of a reduction of wages from four dollars and fifty cents to three dollars and eighty cents per week. They had formerly received four dollars and fifty cents for six days' work, but the company claimed that, as seven days constituted a week, the boys were not entitled to a full week's wages unless they worked on Sunday. On the third of August the strike extended to an office of the company at No. 10 Wall street, where sixty boys stopped work, and the next day fifteen messengers, who were employed in the main office of the company, were induced to strike. On the fifth of August the boys abandoned the strike and many of them returned to work.

New York.

About the fifteenth of March seven metal polishers, employed in a shop on Water street, went on strike. Their employers had recently adopted a new system of doing work in the polishing department, which the employes claimed would reduce their earnings to thirteen dollars and fifty cents per week. The strike lasted but a short time, and resulted in the employers agreeing to pay the polishers sixteen dollars per week and also agreeing to discharge a non-union workman.

In the latter part of September the metal polishers employed in a chandelier manufactory on West Twenty-fifth street, New York city, went on strike because their employer refused to discharge a certain non-union polisher. The strike lasted only two hours and resulted in the dismissal of the workman in question.


New York.

About the fifteenth of May, the Millers and Millwrights' Union, of New York city, demanded a reduction of the hours of labor to eight hours per day. All but two of the employers immediately acceded to this demand, and those two granted the eight-hour day after their employes had been on strike a day and a half.


On the eighteenth of April, a strike took place in a knitting mill at Cohoes. The head knitter left the mill, on account of some dispute between him and the proprietor, and nearly all the rib-knitters followed him. Another man was engaged to take the place of the head knitter, and most of the old employes returned to work.


On the eighteenth of February a strike took place in a mill at Newburgh where plush lap-robes are manufactured. The number of looms had recently been increased, and because the preparation of weft or filling had not kept pace with the weaving the weavers became dissatisfied and asked for an advance in price of one-half per cent. increase of wages, but this offer was rejected, and twentyper cent increase of wages, but this offer was rejected, and twentytwo weavers went on strike. The entire mill was then closed and 150 hands in other departments were deprived of employment. On the twentieth of February, the weavers waited upon their employers and accepted the offer of a five per cent. advance. They stated that they had not properly understood this offer, and admitted that they had acted hastily.


On the twenty-second of October, 1892, seventeen girls, who were employed in a Utica knitting mill, went on strike because the price paid for making a certain style of garment had been reduced from eight to seven cents per dozen. The proprietors of

the mill stated that competition had reduced the selling price of the garment, and that it was therefore necessary to reduce the cost of manufacture. They stated, further, that the work did not require skill or experience, and that a girl of ordinary intelligence, working at the reduced prices, could earn fair wages. Other hands are now being employed to take the places of those who are on strike.


Staten Island.

On the twenty-second or twenty-third of June about thirty girls, who were employed in a paper factory on Staten Island, went on strike because they had not been allowed to open the windows in their work-room when the weather was uncomfortably warm. They returned to work, after having obtained permission to open the windows.


New York.

On the twenty-ninth of September the passementerie workers employed by a firm whose shop is at Eighty-fourth street and Second avenue, New York city, demanded the discharge of an employe who declined to join their shop organization, although he was a member of a union. The firm refused to discharge him, and the passementerie workers went on strike. The Board has not been informed of any settlement of the difficulty.


On the second of August about twenty pavers, who were working on the Seneca ştreet improvement, went on strike. They had been receiving two dollars and seventy-five cents to three dollars per day for ten hours' work, and they asked that the rate of wages be increased to three dollars and fifty cents per day. The contractors granted this request, and the strike lasted only a few days.

New York.

On the first of May differences arose between the owners of granite quarries throughout New England and the granite cutters and quarrymen in their employ. It had been customary to agree

[ocr errors]

upon the prices of labor and other conditions of employment on the first of May in each year, and the New England Granite Manufacturers' Association, of which nearly all the employers were members, decided to change the date of such agreement to January 1. The granite cutters and quarrymen declined to submit to this change, and about 6,000 of them were locked out. The pavers of New York city sympathized with the locked-out workmen, and on the ninth of May they refused to handle paving blocks that came from quarries that were affected by the lockout. The consequence was that about 1,200 pavers and rammersmen stopped work. The strike was directed principally against John Pierce and Booth Brothers & Co., local granite dealers, who were members of the Granite Manufacturers' Association, and who supplied nearly all the paving blocks used in New York city and Brooklyn. On the sixteenth of May the Board met in New York city and communicated with these granite dealers and with officers of the Pavers' Union. Mr. Pierce met the Board and stated that he was not the employer of any of the pavers who were engaged in the strike; that the trouble originated in a demand of the workmen at the quarries in New England for agreements commencing May 1, while the employers desired the agreements to commence January 1. He also stated that all contracts were made between February 1 and May 1, and that the employers could not safely enter into such contracts unless the scale of wages was settled before the latter date. He stated, further, that he had no control of the situation and was not authorized to speak or act for the New England quarry owners.

As the New York strike was of a sympathetic character, and the main controversy was between parties who were not citizens or residents of the State, the Board could not take any further action in the matter.

The derrickmen and longshoremen refused to handle granite consigned to John Pierce or Booth Brothers & Co.; the granite cutters stopped work on a large number of buildings in course of erection in New York city; and the strike finally extended to the monument yards in the vicinity of the several cemeteries. Work was stopped on all paving contracts, with consequent loss to contractors against whom there was no grievance. After wait

« FöregåendeFortsätt »