« FöregåendeFortsätt »
3 And Abram said, Behold to me thou hast given no seed, and lo one born in my house is my. heir.
4 And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir, but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them. And he said unto him, so shall thy seed be.
6 And he believed in the Lord, and he counted it to him for righteousness.
386. Typs from thy bowels. 7 suff. i prefix. 'yo a noun masc. plur. in construct. bowels. Arab, to be loose.
387. n73inn towards the out place. 17 emphat. prefixed. Rule 150. 07 postfixed, towards. Rule 156. pin a field, or out place, from 78m to part.
388. 0277 look. As if '2177. is dropped by rule 81. Also 3 by rule 94. It is the 2d pers. masc. sing. imper. in Hiphil of 033 to look.
389. XI now. As a verb, to fail. The particles x) and xx import desire in consequence of defect.
390. O'n towards the heavens. The 7 postfixed is towards. Rule 156. For o'pvn vide num. 5.
391. 7001 and count. I conjunct. 150 is the 2d pers. sing. masc. imper. Kal of 190 to number. As a noun, an enumeration. Vide num. 608.
392. Sain thou art able. It is the 2d pers. sing. masc. fut. Hiphil of s'.'into 1, vide rule 89. Also rule 81.
393.00 in this manner. From 17770 to restrain. 72 here, this time. J as, that. '), vide num. 25.
394. 12871 and he believed. 1 and. This seems to be an exception to the rules num. 19 in note. ;PN77 3d pers. sing. masc. pret. in Hiph. omitted. Rule 81. This verb 738 in Kal is to confirm, in Niph. to be constant, in Hiph. to believe. As a noun, stability, faithfulness. As a particle, it is true, be it so: nox truth.
395. navn") and he counted it. I and. conver. 7 suff. it. wn' third pers. sing. masc. fut. Kal of yun to impute.
י לו 218 צדקה: 396 ויאמר 19 אליו 383 אני 294 יהוה 154
אשר 40 הוצאתיך 397 מאור 398 כשדיס 399 לתת: 400 8 לך 135 את 4 הארץ 7 הזאת 306 לרשתה: 401 ויאמר 19
אדני 294 יהוה 154 במה 296 אדע 269 כי 25 אירשנה: 402 9 ויאמר 19 אליו 383 קחה 274 לי 304 עגלה 403 משלשת 404
ועז 405 משלשת 404 ואיל 406 משלש 404ותר 407 וגוזל: 408
396.mpty righteousness. Also p73. A noun from p73 to be just, to justify, or to pronounce righteous. Job xiii. 18. p73N 'IN '9 Nyt I know that I shall be justified or acquitted. Vide Job xxvii. 5. Prov. xvii. 15. As often as it denotes an action towards another, it always sig. nifies to absolve, or declare righteous, and is opposed to condemn.*
397. 70azin have brought thee. 7 thee. 'N8317 is the 1st pers. sing. pret. Hiph. of sy". changing the radical into 1, and dropping 'characteristic. Vide rules 89. 81. num. 385.
* The bishop of Rochester, in his notes on Hosea, observes on the word p78, that it " is properly a forensic word, and signifies a person found not guilty, acquitted and justified upon a trial. Hence, in a theological sense, it is a person found innocent in the sight of God. In the book of the Psalms, and occasionally elsewhere in scripture, it is a title of Christ, in his human nature, and should be rendered the Just One. He who stands justified by the perfectness of his own obedience. The only one of the human race who ever was just, or justịfied by his own justice. The plural b'p'73, except when the matter of the discourse is relative to men's secular transactions, signifies “ the justified," those that are justified by faith in the Redeemer coming, or to come, and clothed with his righteousness.”“ With respect to the singular p73, Hutchinson, though he considers it as a title of Christ, renders it “ the justifier.” But he is mistaken. The Hebrew word for “justifier" should be pose from the Hiphil of the verb. But this word, F'iya, is never used as a title of Christ."
Critical Notes on Hosca, p. 182.
7 And he said unto him, I am the Lord that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.
8 And he said, Lord God, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?
9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she-goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtle dove and a young pigeon.
398. usa from Aur, or Ur of. from. 71 is fire. Vide num. 21. It is supposed Ur was so called from the worshipping of fire.
399. O'TV3 the Cheshdim, or Chaldees. It is by no means clear, that Ur was a city, it was probably a district of country. Gen. xi. 28. 31. Acts vii. 3. It lay in the land of the Chaldeans. That Mesopotamia was the place of Abram's original residence, appears also from the words of Stephen. But that there was an ulterior Mesopotamia, and that Abraham came from a country more eastwardly, seems highly probable. See the Geographical Excursions annexed to the new edition of Dr. Wells's Sacred Geography, No. X. See this word in its changes in Dan. ii. 5. 10. iii, 8. iv. 4. (7.) v. 7. 11. 30. Ezra v. 12.
400, anh to give. prefix. nn infin. Kal of ina to give. Vide rule 108. Vide num. 374. 302. 410.
401. onus for possessing of it. 5 prefix. 01 suffix. nvs is the infin. Kal of vm. Vide rule 90, and num. 381.
402. VTX I shall inherit it. 073 it. Vide rule 39. VTs is 1st pers. sing. fut. Kal. Vide num. 401.
403. okay a calf, or heifer. A fem. noun. Say masc. a steer, or calf The radical meaning is roundness.
404. noson of three years old. A participial noun fem. from who to treble. Vide num. 66. 486.
405. 7r') and a goat. I and. w a goat, from joy to be strong.
406. bus and a ram. 1 and. 5'* from 5 to interpose. S'x, of as, and 5x a ram, or stag.
407. Vi and a turtle dove. I and. From 17 to explore, because they migrate in winter.
408. Silni and a young pigeon. I and. Soya from Sia to plunder. Rule
10 ויקח 274 לו 218 את 4 כל 97 אלה 151 ויבתר 409 אתם 85
בתוך 36 ויתן 410 איש 226 בתרו 411 לקראת 412 רעהו 413 11 ואת 4 הצפר 414 לא 159 בתר: 409 ורד 415 העיט 416 12 על 1 הפגרים 417 וישב 418 אתם 85 אברס: 368 ויהי 20
השמש 419 לבוא 420 ותרדמה 227 נפלה 226 על 13
אברם 368 והנה 133 אימה 421 חשכה 12 גדלה 80 נפלת 226 13 עליו: 13 ויאמר 19 לאברם 368 ידע 269 תדע 269 כי 25
גר 422 יהיה 20 זרעך 317 בארץ 7 לא 159 להס 135 ועבדוס423 וענו 424 אתם 85 ארבע 88 מאות 425 שנה: 75
.is the 3d pers Imasc יבתר .and he divided
.and ilaced . I convers ויתן .410 .302 .400 .Vide num .נתן fut
Kal of the איש בתרו .409
.vid . num בתר his division.hts . R. 39. For בתרו,411
,sons of Belial בני בליעל ply the place of adjectives or participles
, as ;, בן עשרים שנה
בן גרני -in con קראת .for ל .for the threeting of , or ofiliosite to לקראת ,412 ,to meet , to hafhfheti קרא a noun fem
' . masc. . . .
. ' . . . . .
division. man of his part, or each part. Substantives in construction often sup
, , for base men; 7W D'IVY 13 a son of twenty years, for twenty years old; 90 ya the son of my floor, for threshed grain.
. 5 . . . a ; , happen, to call. Vide num. 29.
413. 1779 its companion, 1 its. Rule 39. nyn an associate, the will, and yo masc. from 7yny to feed. Vide num. 517.
414. 19807 the fowl. 07 emphat. 798 a bird, sparrow. As a verb, 10 move quickly. 415. 771 and descended. I and. This is the 3d pers. m. sing. fut.
1 . . , . ' . 7172 affliction.
prey. . fowl, to move, or rush violently.
.a bird of firey העיט .416
10 And he took unto him all these and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another, but the birds divided he not. 11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove
12 And when the sun was going down a deep sleep fell upon Abram, and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.
13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not their's, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years.
417. D'1297 the dead carcases. 17 emphat. Sing. 110 a dead body, plur. D'nda. As a verb, to faint, or relax.
418.30'9 and he drove away. I and conv. V' is the 3d pers. sing. fut. Kal of vi to blow, or blow away. Vide rule 94. Or it is the 3d pers. sing. pret. Kal of uv' to sit down. In the Septuag. “ sat down with them.” But the former is the true solution, because it is the relation of a past action, and the 1 converts the future to the perfect.
419. woun the sun. n emphat. Now the sun, light. nonw windows. The root is wow to serve.
420. mas at rising, or going down.prefix. Na a participial noun from * to come, or go.
421. 70's a dread. A noun fem. o'x masc. the same. They are perhaps from 179977 to make a tumult.
422. 9 a sojourner. As a noun fem. 1770 the same, from 2 to 80journ, or dwell. 10 a cub, 12. to fear, 771 to excite, or stir up, and 772 10 saw, are said to have an intercommunity of secondary senses." with 2 or 3 to sojourn.
423. Digay and shall serve them. I convers. Othem. Rule 40. 1733 is the 3d pers. masc. plur. pret. Kal of nay. Num. 162.
424. 139 and they shall afflict. i convers. Ijy for 173y 3d pers. masc. plur. pret. Kal of 173 y to afflict, or affect. Rule 102.
425. niko hundreds. Plur. noun fem. from sing. nxo or exo or "892 an hundred. With 70. Rule 119. num. 486.